25hp Kohler Command Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by haligans1, Nov 18, 2006.

1. haligans1

haligans1 LawnSite Member

New to this site...have a 2002 Scag Turf Tiger 61" with the Kohler Command 25hp motor. 586 hours on unit. Yesterday, while running full throttle with deck engaged, it stuttered, spit, a died out. When I try to start it, it requires full choke, starts, runs wide open, and then dies when I turn choke off. The only way it stays running is with choke nearly open all the way. If a load is applied, it dies right out. I changed fuel filter, new air filter, new spark plugs, etc. Still no luck. I am suspecting water/debris in bowl or a bad fuel pump....It is not blowing black smoke or backfiring, just seems to be starved for fuel. How hard is it to drain bowl on carb? Fuel pump difficult to change? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you are on the right track.1- may be something in the needle seat. 2 may be someting blocking the main jet passage. 3 may be water in the fuel bowl and tank. All require you to remove the carb, dissasemble, spray out with 3M brake cleaner (NAPA) blow out with compressed air, reassemble, install new fuel filter, drain fuel tank clean and blow out, fresh fuel, mow like crazy!