25hp kohler head gasket question / help..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, May 28, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

my kohler just started smoking blue today and my dealer told me he thinks my head gasket is bad.
    could a bad head gasket make it burn oil and smoke like this???
    does not feel low on power but it is using alot of oil.
    i just dont know if a bad head gasket would cause oil burning like this.. anyone know for sure please let me know befor i get it fixed. thanks

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Well if it's smoking and using a lot of oil, then it is a head gasket. I can't imagine it is still "running fine." A blown head gasket will cause a loss of power big time. I would imagine you have less than 100 hours on it, so get with your dealer and ask him to replace the engine.

In 2000 I went through a head gasket repair, only to have it blow again. Then they put on a new engine, but it eventually a rocker arm assembly came loose and ruined the engine. It's not something you would think to PM.

I have one Kohler left, and it's the 27EFI. I like it better than the carb models because it has much more power.

3. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

well when it was not smoking it did only seem to run on one cylinder and then it started to smoke a bit and use oil but then it ran on both cylinders. to me makes no sense but what does. well i am getting the new gasket kit and bolts put on it. i hope that fixes it..
    as for kohler engines they are good. great on gas. i have owned all of them kohler, kawasaki, honda, vanguard. and all of them have there ups and downs..
    kohler's= head gaskets, and love to tap really loud.
    kawasaki's= not best on gas and i seem to need coils alot.
    honda's= not best on gas and take time to warm up..
    vanguard's= leak oil.
    i do think all are perty good but all have some issues one way or another.