25hp Kohler motor won't start after shutting off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by m6onz5a, May 11, 2008.

1. m6onz5a

m6onz5a LawnSite Member

Let me first say I just got the mower and it has a couple of problems. When I first got it it started right up and ran great. Once in a while after running the mower and attempting to restart it I would only get a 'click' (no cranking) coming from the starter relay (I believe). After sitting 5-10 minutes it would start just fine. Sometimes I wouldn't have a problem at all.

Ok now to the current problem. I was mowing my yard when I suddenly came to a stop (engine & blades are still running). After a few seconds of moving the controls with no luck I decided to shut the motor off. For some reason I tried to restart the motor and I get the 'click' again. I pushed the mower to my patio, and tried to start it again. Now the motor will crank, but it won't start (I do smell fuel). All I did was turn the motor off.

Could a faulty ignition switch cause this? I also replaced all 3 relays which didn't help either.

The problem with the mower not moving was the drive belt which has been replaced.

This is a Bobcat zero-turn with a 25hp Kohler motor model # 942224

Thanks!!
    Chas

2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

sounds like ignition coil as it gets hot it wont spark like it is supposed to. When it cools down it should fire up and start right ??? If so that is the issue

3. m6onz5a

m6onz5a LawnSite Member

I don't have to let it "cool down". Just let it sit a couple of minutes before it'll crank again. It has always started before. I'm wondering more why it won't crank on occasion hoping this issue is related to a possible bad ignition switch since the switch should give the motor spark, right?

And like I said in the first post the motor was running perfectly. All I did was shut the motor off with the key and now it won't start. I can't see a coil going bad from that.

4. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

a coil can just get weak and a weak spark wont ignite fuel.

5. m6onz5a

m6onz5a LawnSite Member

The problem was the delay relay. I purchased 3 new relays at my work (auto parts store) that matched up perfect except 2 terminals had a diode. I didn't think this would be a problem but obviously it is. Today I put on of the old relays back in (was going to try all 3 old ones), and the first one worked. The mower fired right up.

I knew it wasn't the coil. :) Thanks any ways!

Chas

6. mountainlake

mountainlake LawnSite Member

The coil sure wouldn't have any thing to do with the engine cranking. If you have any more troubles make sure to check all connections for corrosion. Steve

7. m6onz5a

m6onz5a LawnSite Member

Yep.. I did that as well. And to be safe I also replaced the ignition switch.

Chas