25HP Kohler problems...advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

My 2 cents worth on problems with 25HP Kohler engines. If you have an older engine like I did and are tired of taking it to the shop on a regular basis, get a rebuild on your engine. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I had ongoing problems, (I won't get into specifics because they are too numerous to list), but finally had a rebuild and it has run like a charm ever since. It even sounds completely different. I had the option of going for a new engine, (have a Lazer 52"), for $1500 or rebuild for $750. Decided on the rebuild as my mower is several years old and I'll probably be in the market for a new one after this season.
    If you are unfortunate enough to have one of these problem engines that were manufactured a few years ago, do yourself a favor and just have it rebuilt. It's not worth the cost of constant repairs and hoping every time you get it back that everthing will be ok. Something else continues to fail time after time.
    Advice for what ever it's worth. Hope I can save someone with one of these problem engines from constant headaches, especially with the busy season coming up.
    P.S. I was so frustrated with my old Kohler I told the dealer I would not accept a rebuild if he used my old engine. I wanted a different one. He agreed to my request. My old engine would probably have been alright with a rebuild but I never wanted to see it again after all the problems.
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just what was involved in your rebuild? Bore out, new pistons, anything with the crank? Bearings, cam? Just wondering, because you dont see many people rebuilding these engines these days, as a brand new 25 hp Kohler only runs about $1500 or so. Plus with a new motor, you get EVERYTHING new: carb, ignition, valves, gaskets, oilpump,.....etc, while with a rebuild, you are re-using many rather important parts.

What exactly was wrong with it?
  3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i also would have opted for the new engine for $1500, just for the 2 year warranty, if your shop rebuilt the engine and did'nt use a short block your warr. is maybe 30 days at best, good luck and keep that air and oil clean, tony
  4. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

TLS... I will get back to you regarding what was done. I don't remember all the specifics right now but will check with my dealer next week. I know the new engine was the best option but $$ available at the time factors into the decision certainly. I did receive a 6 month warranty. As mentioned, I plan on replacing the mower after this season and was not convinced that either the trade in value or outright sale to another person would get back to me the extra money I would have spent on a new engine, over and above the total value of the machine as is, considering the age of the mower. But to be perfectly honest, cash was tight at that point in time.
    P.S. Not opting for the new engine could certainly come back to haunt me later in the summer, only time will tell. I just know that it has run great since the rebuild.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I know exactly what you are going thru. I had a 98 Kohler 25 that was a piece of crap. I wrote volumes on this subject about 2 years ago.
    I bought it new and had nothing but problems with it. That engine series was garbage and Kohler knew it. They had to redesign the block and change it extensively. I had problems ranging from scored cylinders to rings to head gasket to ignition coils and then I got rid of it. If I were you I would scream loudly to all who will listen, starting at Kohlers door.
    Don't get me wrong, they make some good engines but the 25 is not one of them. Good Luck.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if u got a 25 kohler on a 52. u ought to be able to cut
    pulp wood on the side.strong combination.:)