25hp liquid cooled kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdboss, Oct 19, 2006.

1. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

Has anyone used Kohler's 25hp liquid cooled engine? I am looking at adding another Walker, but this used one has this liquid cooled engine. Any comments would be appreciated. What kind of life should i expect out of one of these? Thanks, Ben

2. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

No one has used these things?????Hmmm maybe it would not such a wise purchase then.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

They just did not make their way onto very many mower applications.

I have no idea why, as at the time they came out, the design was much better looking than the competitive Kawasaki versions. I don't think they have a track record of being a problem, at least not that I know of.

Maybe Kohler didn't do a good job of marketing them to mower MFG's???

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had a liquid cooled Kohler 25hp on a Grasshopper. It was very smooth running, pretty quiet compared to the air-cooled, and seemed to have a little more power than the 25hp air-cooled Kohler I had on another Grasshopper machine. Ran them side by side, and always liked the liquid-cooled machine a little better. I had it 2 years and put several hundred hours on it with not one problem. A friend bought it, and he has had no problems with it either. Grasshopper only used that engine for a short while, as Kohler could not fulfill their commitment to deliver the engines on a timely basis. Too bad, it was a great engine in my opinion.

5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm runing the 26hp EFI Walker and that has more than enough power. I have not owned a LC mower so I really can't give my opinion on this particular engine. My dealer sells mostly the EFIs. Why the 25hp? I mean it looks like a solid power house for day to day use but others seem like a better investment. Take the 31hp LC EFI. It has the best of both words. lol

6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh its used.. how many hours?

7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, liquid cooled walker would be my choice if i had it all over again ,the air cooled i would describe as only being average ,[either 25 carb or 26 efi]. Only a person who has owned a horizontal air cooled eng will know . Main issue is the air intake sucks in all debris from ground causing air flow blockage and therefore massive overheating of oil . Degraded / damaged oil, damages engine as u would expect over the long term. I was recording oil temp 285 and above when air intake was blocked by choclate bar wrapper etc.If u r going to run in warm weather 77f and above AND/OR larger decks 48ghs or 52 sd or bigger u would do well with liquid cooled .

Liquid cooled engine maintenance is simple and must be done

Recommendations --- pressure test cooling system every 3mths [to eng spec s]to check 4 leaks .
    Check fan operation -switching on and off and 4 reversing action operation every service or 3mths
    Check radiator cap releif pressure every 3 mths

Every 2 years remove thermostat and reverse flush engine block and radiator with regulated comp air and tap water . Reassemble with new thermostat. pressure test of course . Install coolant at 50 % ratio with demineralized water .

Walkers were having some issues with fans [reliability ] if this happens to u change 4 a after market fan [do not use a cheap one !] Also i suspect radiators are a fraction small as the fan control system has been changed a few times.Eg the fan operates at a low speed until required . When the fan does cut in it cycles forwards and backwards to clean the debris screen.
    [diesels operate like this so u would assume the same 4 the gas eng ]

''' important''' clean debris screen often -removable

tomo:waving:

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That forward/reverse cycle this is neat.
    I never knew they did that on the walkers.
    That's cool.

9. bdboss

bdboss LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of the info guys, I am arunnning 4 Walkers now all some version of the air cooled kohler(from 20-26). I know what you mean about over heating of the engine oil especially on the efi model. Thanks again for all of the advice