$25hr for crew leader, too much or is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by privatelawn, Aug 16, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

planning on having crews of 4 with crew leader making $25 hr and the other 3 $10 hr, at the moment I have 2 guys and paying them each $10 hr, these guys are good, work very hard, do a great job and know how to run all equipment. When I get to the point where I want to run 4 guys per crew I would like to pay 1 of these 2 guys $25 hr.

With workmans comp, my share of there taxes etc about how much will these 4 guys cost me per hour if im paying them total $55/hr?

2. privatelawn

By the way, from my math it seems a crew of 4 would gross $24k a month.
    And in wages id be paying about $10k without including workmans comp etc, is that fair or too much spent on employee wages? Sucks to see $24k gross end up being like $5k-$8k net

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It will cost about $65-66 per hour.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Soooo, You are moving a guy making 10 an hour to 25???? seems like you are jumping him up a bunch and that the other 2 guys will be a bit pissed when they find out he got a 15 dollar raise. How about increasing your other 2 to 13 an hour and the crew leader to 17. then you have options to give them raises or bonuses for performance.

I am just saying the guy is getting 10 and you want to give him a 150% raise??? doesn't seem right.

5. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

I agree, that is way to good. We pay our crew leader about $15 an hour, but it works out due to winter hours and the perk of a truck.

6. privatelawn

At the moment since they work with me I see it as im the crew leader and they are just the helpers but when I do send them on there own with 3 other guys they will have alot more responsibilities.

Ok well $25 is a big jump, maybe I should just increase it every 3 months or so, as for paying the $10 guys $13 well Id rather give that money to the crew leader as those other guys will be well just the crew.

7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

unless you have all enormous properties 4 guys is going to be inefficient. better off with 2 crews. might mean you have to wait longer to make the step, but its better.

i would say get another crew and then hire a guy to do part of YOUR work (most) .. for $20/hr

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Happier the guys are the harder they work.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

here in NJ I add approximately 20% based upon $4.29/$100 of payroll for WC and another 11% for employer matching taxes

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My maint crew foremen make $22.50 an hour.