1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

26,000 GVW Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Farbio, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

What would be my best option for a 26,000 GVW truck and engine? I will use the truck to haul material and pull an 11,000 lb mini. and or track skidsteer.

I currently pull the mini and skids with a 2002 F-350 7.3. It is a great truck but I think the engine is going to explode one of these days when I pull up a steep hill.
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i am also looking for a 26k or 33k truck to do the same thing with. the new mini is going to be to much for my old dodge gasser to pull.

i have been looking into a f-750 with a allison 3000 series auto and a c-7 cat.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Get your CDL and get a truck with a 33-35,000lb gvw your going to be overloading a light duty truck with a 26,000lb gvw. If you have a 11,000lb mini I assume a 161 Kubota you want something that can pack a load.
  4. BlackCloudDiesel

BlackCloudDiesel LawnSite Member

Go get yourself a nice Sterling Acterra with either a Caterpillar or Mercedes Benz diesel. Keep in mind with a 26k truck, you can only haul a 1lb trailer behind it before needing a CDL.

5. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

Thanks for the respones guys. It looks like I am going to need to get a CDL this winter. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of taking the step to CDL. I assume costs such as licensing, insurance....... go way up.

Also, is there going to be a big discrepency in price betweenthe different brands of trucks in the 26,000 to 33,00lb trucks? I want a solid truck at a reasonable price.
  6. Gravel Rat

If you found youself a International 7400 or a Sterling 8500 or a Pete 332 or Kenworth T-300. The cheaper option is the International and Sterling. The International has a better engine over the Mercedes usually found in the Sterlings.

If your going to a CDL you might aswell get a tandem they are just as cheap to run.
  7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

DT466 @ 215+hp is a solid engine too.
  8. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

go with an international and 466. I have a 92 pre electronics usually around 40-42k gvw and get around 8-9 mpg. I can haul a lot more better brakes and better mileage towing than my 07 dodge cummins.
  9. Gravel Rat

10. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd avoid a truck from Massachusetts. This is coming from someone that has seen a lot of trucks from there.

They have very loose weight restrictions and the trucks wear out much more quickly than trucks from other places. I see dump trailers coming out of Mass. on a regular basis that have saggy frames from all the weight put in them.