26-32" mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndyL, Apr 22, 2002.

1. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Hey folks,

Just doing some investigations for later in the season... Looks like I might be buying something a bit bigger than the 21s this year. Considering all the estimates, and bookings on the answering machine when I got home, I'd say I'm going to be awful busy! (Might have to quit the day job REAL soon!)

I've now got a few small-ish commercials (8-15k sq ft) Ok to push mow for now, but later in the season, a bigger wb would be nice to have...

I've heard mention on this board of 26" mowers... Who currently makes them? Checked gravely, honda, toro, JD exmark the usual suspects and found a couple 18 - 22s... Nothing between 22-32 tho.

I know exmark and a few others make 32s, but I'm leery of buying something that would be too heavy and bulky to haul up/down stairs, or fit into the tighter back yards.

If needs required, I'm pretty sure I could have my former employers belt drive ransomes (36") But I'm more interested in something with bagging capabilities (preferably rear bagging) But I don't really want a riding mower...

I know many of you won't take jobs you can't fit a 36" deck onto, but some of us can't be quite so choosy :D Not to mention, how do I get rid of the molson belly if I spend all day on my Tookus?! :cool:

Andy

2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I think Snapper makes a 26" with a Robin engine and swivel front casters. Emcore makes (or used to) a 26" and Yazoo/Kees makes a 26" but you need tools to adjust the mowing height. Kee makes a 26" also. As far as carrying any of them down stairs goes, I'm not going to carry a 21" down steps and back up. A 32" weighs in the neighborhood of 500#, but it would be more efficient where there were no steps. You can always have more than one machine.

3. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

I've never even heard of yazoo or kees, do they have a website? Are they a reputable manufacturer?

Not going to carry a 21" down steps? That must really limit the work you do!

Andy

4. Upstate Mike

Upstate Mike LawnSite Member

5. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Upstate mike: Man those mowers look sweet! Any experience with them?

Andy

6. Upstate Mike

Upstate Mike LawnSite Member

Not yet,I think I am buying one today.I wont get a chance to look at it before I buy it though.They look like nice mowers and would be perfect for those small back yards with gates.I am like you and dont have the option of turning down jobs because of steps or a gate.I will take any job that I can get.The 26 inch model self propelled with a mulching deck is around 850.00

http://www.wikco.com/Keemower.html

7. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

There are several 26 inchers out there. billy goat makes a sweet 24. Idont know what the step thing is all about but but i can get my toro 32 in any gate i have ran across and my dealer swears he can get a 36 in in the same gate.

8. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

If you check with the lawnmower shop .com, they offer a brand of commercial mowers put out by sarlo mowers..... they offer self propelled models in 24", 26" and a 30" high wheel mower, they come with front swivil castors.

9. larrv45390

larrv45390 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have a Snaper 26" that I hate. I got it last year and I would love to put it in the bottom of a lake. Just got a new Toro 32" with 12.5hp and I love it.

10. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Ahhh, so your implying the 26" snapper would make a better "boat anchor" than a yard mower. ;)