26 EFI Kohler Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ACER, Aug 20, 2004.

1. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark Lazer Z EPS with the 26EFI Kohler, up until a couple of days ago it ran fine. While cutting the engine bogged down(never happened before) and would not restart. The battery was a little weak so I removed it and recharged. The next day it would turn over fine but would not start. When you turn the switch on the electric fuel pump is not running. I know it is not getting fire to the pump, and have already checked the fuel pump fuse and relay, both are ok. Also checked the computer codes and it shows every thing is ok (Code 61)? Any ideas? I have also posted this on Exmarks forum.
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Are you still under warranty? If so.. haul it to the dealer!
  3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Bad Pump?

Can you run a direct wire from battery to pump to test?
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Ground-Ground-Ground!!!. These EFI engine have about 50 ground wires and if one is making bad connect you can forget it.The fuel pump is controlled from the ECU (Electric Control Unit AKA computer) and if it has a ban ground you got problems. If you get a power fail off between ground leads as little as a quarter volt you are in for it. We have 26 EFI in Walkers and I have had a time with ground problems. The relays are wired back to back so ALL have to work or none of them do. Do you have the plastic case ECU or the metal case ECU? I can sent you a wiring diagram
    ACER likes this.
  5. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Fixer67, sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I have a plastic case. How much trouble will it be to track down the problem? I have spoken to the dealer I purchased the mower from he thought it was a bad fuel pump. I don't think thats it, there is not fire to the pump at all. If the pump was bad I still should be getting fire. He also had me check the ignition switch and pto switch. Both appear to work fine, the engine rolls over with no problem and I can hear the pto click when the knob is pulled. Thanks for the help.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You can go to Kohler's web site and download the engine service manual for free. It has every thing you should need. The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU and if it has a bad ground you will have problems. Check all ground leads.
  7. ACER

ACER LawnSite Member

Fixer67, thanks for the link, this should be helpful.
  8. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if you found out anything yet on your EFI, I am having the exact same problems with my 60" Exmark...The dealer can't seem to figure it out...