26 EFI or 27 Liquid Lazer Z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, May 17, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Now that these machines have been out a while I would like some opinions before I buy. Thinking about the 26 or 27 with a 72 deck. Can either of these handle this deck? If they cant I'll get the 60" deck, but what is the better motor based on experience. Thinking the 72 with a 48 turf tracer hp with ECS would be a nice combination for big and small yards. Tired of the Scag.

Thanks,

Ben

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

JLC,

I have the 27/60 and love it. My friend has the twin of mine and a 27/72. The extra foot of cut bogs it only slightly in real deep grass, where the 60 is just fine. I would like to hope that this LC engine will be reliable and trouble free over the years. Im not bashing the EFI, but, it is a Kohler! I have also heard great things about this combo as well. I just think that when you go to a 72" deck, the engine will have to work harder, which in turn makes heat. The Kohler is air cooled and is limited to ambient air temp, while the LC will never overheat. I haven't got my Temp gauge to move above normal, even when its really working hard!

3. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I have 15 hrs. on my 27hp Kawi with the 60 inch deck. Two words---Simply awsome!!!!!!!!!

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 26 EFI and it does have plenty of power but it also is air cooled as stated. I have had no trouble with overheating but I don't really put it to the test either.
    I am planning on another purchase within a year or 2 for a ztr with a 60 deck and I will be looking at kawi liquid as well as the diesels for the reason of heat and power over the long cuts. I won't get a Kohler for this type of mowing.
    My 26 powers a 42" deck on a Walker GHS. Overkill? Mayby but it sure can vacuum stuff up. Good Luck.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 26 EFI with 60" deck and I would like more power! I already know I'm getting a diesel next year. You can never have too much power. I want to cut fast, not piss around, me need more power!

6. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Talked to the Exmark dealer today. He claims the 27 liquid is plenty for the 72" deck, although it will be worked in the fast growing spring stuff. I like the idea of a 72" because the productivity would be phenominal. He quoted me $9450 for the 72" and $9050 for the 60"...is this fair within a couple hundred? I would also be picking up the 48 walk at the same time so maybe he cut me a deal.

7. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I bought a 26/72 last year and it is a great machine. I have not had any real problems with it lacking power. I don't know that you can ever have too much power, but the 26 EFI will sufficiently handle the 72" deck. As far as overheating I would doubt that would problem where your located. I run that 26 air cooled wide open for 4-5 hours straight in 95-100 degree Mississippi heat with no promblems.

Jay

8. mlo

mlo LawnSite Member

I have both the 26 and the 27 with the 72" deck, both do a great job, either one will do you a good job.