26 EFI TPS initialization...help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chariot, Aug 25, 2010.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

First off this is a 2002 exmark Z, 2900 hours and 26 HP EFI. Nothing at all had ever been done to this engine! I got blink code 22 and have now installed a new throttle position sensor only to have this thing running even worse. I tried to follow steps in factory service manual for initialization and got the correct blink (fast blink for about 3 seconds). Now when i fire it up it will somewhat idle but when I try to rev up it just sounds horrible and wants to shut down. Can I re-intitialized?? How?? Your help will be greatly apprecited. Thanks

2. chariot

Come on guy, no one??!!! I went through the process again on the initilization and still the same results. It seems to be dumping in to much fuel as it is black smoking a pretty good amount. Any guesses you guys may have would be appreciated. Anyone know of a dealer that may me willing to offer some assistance? My local dealer openly admits to minimal experiece with these engines and is basically no help. Thanks again!

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

chariot,

I'm no expert on these EFI's myself but have worked on a few, I've had two come in with baffles broke loose inside the mufflers. These baffles restricted exhaust flow and caused symptoms like you described.

The last one I worked on was a full blown system component test because my boss never bought the program to hook them to a computer.

After going through the component flow test page in the manual I found intermittent signals to the injectors from the ECU.

It's possible you have multiple problems here, Have you done any system testing per the manual ?

4. chariot

Been to busy to do much of anything other than what I stated. The muffler was replaced around 500 hours ago so I would hope it would be in good shape internally but who knows these days. Gonna try to get on it this weekend and check a few more things that's why I was looking for info. Thanks for the suggestions so far as I will be sure to check muffler and more suggestions would be welcomed.

5. chariot

Seems as if the ECM / computer has went on the fritz!! Guess that's not gonna be a cheap fix. Thanks for looking guys.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

chariot,

Food for thought,

Kohler has a ECM KIT # 24 755 169-S that is much cheaper than purchasing a ECM alone. This is what I installed on the last one I worked on.

Kit Includes:
    • Manifold Assembly (Manifold, Injectors, Wiring Harness, and ECU)
    • Oil Temperature Switch
    • Gaskets, Intake Manifold
    • Gasket, Air Cleaner Base
    • Breather Hose Kit
    • Installation Hardware