26 Efi Trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MOW ED, Aug 24, 2001.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to say it but my beloved 26EFI that I had such high hopes for has failed me at 381 hours. Its in the shop for warranty repairs but they are having trouble trying to find out whats wrong.
    While mowing the engine stopped as if someone turned the key off. Upon trying to start it again=NO WAY. Turned over and over and over but no start.

Mechanic found fuse to fuel pump blown. 10 amp fuse. Replaced it and it ran for 3 or 4 then blew. Replaced it and blew immediately. He cleaned all connections but still blowing.

I am assuming mayby a bad fuel pump but I am just guessing. I won't know any more until Monday but until then

Good plugs
    Good spark
    Good (but expensive) fuel
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a bad pump,or pump wire rubbing to ground to me.If not a pump,there is something else on that circuit,and injector,or something,that is bad,or has a wire rubbing thru somewhere
  3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

you've got a chaffed wire some where, look where the harness comes from the fuel pump in the tank to the frame, i adjusted the grommet that holds it there on one of mine.

also, check near the cpu, maybe you caught something that pulled your harness.

test the fuel pump with a fusible jumper wire to see if it's going to ground.

I haven't gotten any service bullitens on any problems with these.

Good luck
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Today is Monday and she still is in the shop.

Verdict is that Kohler is sending a tech up to look at it since my mech can't find the cause. They are interested in the guinea (no offence Guido) pigs that are having problems. I' guess I am lucky to live near the factory.

I'm not to the panic mode yet but I don't really want to go back to being in shape and mowing everything with my Toro WB again. Boy that machine is a lifesaver and believe it or not is has a little one lunger Kohler 15 on it.

I'll let you know more Weds.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The way the grass is growing right now, this is not a good time for your main machine to be down Ed. If you weren't such a long distance neighbor, I'd help you out. ;)
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you Eric I appreciate the thought and do wish I was a little closer. We will have to do breakfast again later in the fall if things slow down.

The verdict on the 26EFI.
    The Kohler tech came up to look at my machine and came up with a burned up fuel pump. Still under warranty? Well initially the guy said I was part to blame.

How you may ask?

I let the fuel tank get too low.

A bunch of B.S. and Kohler better not piss and moan because there is no mention of how high you are supposed to keep your fuel tank in the owners manual.

They must be burning up fuel pumps in Walkers because now the dealers and Walker MFG. has to inform all of the 26EFI owners that they have to keep the fuel above a certain level. Had I known this when I bought it or anytime after the purchase I would have had no problem doing it but in actuality I don't let the tank get very low anyway so all I can say is if you have a 26EFI you may have issues with the fuel pump.
    I can't say for certain that they have defects but the explanation seems weak to me.

They will be overnighting a pump that should be installed by noon Weds. I will pick it up today and write more later, I have to get behind the old Toro WB again and cut some big time growth.

What do you think?
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Back from walking my a$$ off because my beloved Walker is not fixed. The part that was supposed to come feom Kohler Wisconsin (which is about 60 miles from here) did not come in yet.

No surprise to me, this kind of crap happened to me with my 25HP Walker problems. My dealer will lend me a rider for my big day Friday if he doesn't get the part.

Hell I could drive down and get it myself.

I expect to be using a Scag rider.

Good news is that the whole thing is covered but I am done with Kohler. My next rider which will be some type of ZTR will have a diesel or a Kawi in it.

Mighty tired and this Mikes Hard Lemonade is tasting like another one.
  8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

sorry to here you are having these problems.

It sounds like bs!! I run 26efi's on my Walkers had never heard anything like this.

There have been times i've run out of fuel and only gotten air in the system and they fire back up.

The good thing is that they are warranting it, now if they'd get off their arse and get ya going.

the bad thing is that Kohler is making Walker look bad, first the 25hp's now this.

But, i guess it could happen to any equipment though!

They are experimenting with the Kawasaki liquid cooled, i'd like to see that.

Hell, if you were close enough, i've got a few demos laying around you could surely use!!
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the offer captdevo, I would take you up on it if I was closer. The old dogs are really tired after a whole day of walking for a guy who likes to ride.

I'm looking foreward to Kawi coming out with the injected motors. Kohler can have a nice bratwurst spread at Expo and get you thru the line quick but they sure aren't fast at servicing their warrantied stuff.

Some day I am hoping to have a few backups so I am not as P.O'ed as I am now.

10. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear your still down. Wish you lived closer to me and we could help each other out when the tough got going. As I wrote in your private message that Walker 52" Deck ROCKS !!!!!!!!
    Well keep us informed.