26 EFI vs. 28 EFI

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Brieldo, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Dustin or Terry,
    I went and saw my eXmark dealer today and had a great conversation with him about purchasing a new machine come spring. In talking with him, he said taht the new 28 hp engine really sint a 28, it's just a 26 that has always put out 28hp, and it will just be rebadged. Is this true? Or does the 26 really put out 28, and the new 28 will put out say, 31 hp? Could you shed some light on this, as I'd rather get the bigger of the two engines, but want to know exactly what to tell my dealer I want.

Thank you!

Ben

P.S. My dealer is Gaffer's Small Engine in Mankato, Minnesota...I saw some awards on their wall presented by you guys, so hats off to them!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Ben,

At this time we are not completely sure what the 28 will actually produce since the engine is not in production yet. From what I'm told Kohler's plan was for an engine that produced 2 more hp than the 26 and not simply changing the decals.

Like I said we won't really know until the engine is actually in production form and being produced.

Thanks

Terry

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Then what's up with their claim of the "3 extra usable hp? This is getting harder to understand.:rolleyes: We'll just have to wait and see what Kohler has to say, I guess. I'd love to be able to say to them. "Show us the results!"

4. eXmark

Runner,

We'll really need to wait and see what the engine performs like. Useable horsepower is different than max horsepower or even rated horsepower in some instances. Also where is the max horsepower at? Is it at 3800 rpm or is it at 2300 rpm. Useable horsepower is in the engines "normal" rpm operating range.

It doesn't matter what the charts show and it doesn't matter what the decal states either. It all comes down to what happens when the machine gets in the grass. Run a 25 head to head against a 26 EFI on the same lawn with heavy growth in the spring and it becomes fairly clear what 3 extra useable horsepower really is.

I too will be anxious to get on my first 28 and see what the difference is in the grass.

Thanks

Terry

5. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a 26efi leftover from my dealer for what i considered a good price. Even though it will sit here until spring I'm glad I got it. Sounds like a lot of unanswered questions concerning the 28efi. I agree the more horsepower the better but my experience with the Lazers(my third one) is that nothing can stop them in any kind of grass provided you use the right method of cutting for the conditions given.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

WHO CARES THEY SOUND :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Johnny G.

7. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Dustin or Terry,
    In talking with my dealer, he said that he called the factory and they told him that there should be a 28efi by March, but couldnt guarantee it. Can you shed any light on this? Will we be able to purchase this mower before the growing season starts? Thank you!

ben

8. eXmark

Ben,

I suppose that's possible but I doubt it.

The way I approach most new products is like this. Once I see one roll off the line it's available. It does not matter what the plan is; it doesn't matter what production says they are doing etc. Until I see it, it does not exist.

That being said the 28 EFI does not exist and you won't see it in March. The last I had heard Kohler was making some "tweeks" to the engine to add some reliability and performance pushing full scale production back until well after March. Maybe a lot after March. I give them credit for trying to come to market with their best effort. Even if that means a delay in production.

If your wanting a new EFI for spring I wouldn't try waiting for the 28 because I'm not sure we have a firm date for delivery of the engines.

Thanks

Terry

9. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Terry,
    I appreciate the reply. Im very hopeful that I'll get myself a 28efi before I get full swing into the growing season. Perhaps my dealer will lend me a demo to use until they become available. Again, thank you fo your response....

Ben