26 Exmark defects

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Northwest, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

I have had a 26 for three weeks and the spring on the end of the drive cable broke. Luckily I have a good dealer and he took one off a new mower and I was back on the road. He said it is the third spring that has broken and these mowers have only been available here for the past month and a half. Also, the mower sometimes leaves trails of grass where the wheels are. Anyone know why? It is more productive then a 21 but I hope exmark rectifies the spring problem and we can find out about the mysterious trails of grass.
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Whew.... I thought you had 26 defects on an Exmark mower! Sounds like your dealer is helping you out. Are the trails just the typical trails due to skinny wheels pushing down the grass, like most any 21" push mower will leave? Is it occuring on thin, spindly grass or all your lawns? Also, are you using the stock blade, or did you switch to a lower-lift mulching blade?

Hopefully all will work out, Exmark is good at standing behind their machines.
  3. VanceTrendov

VanceTrendov LawnSite Member

i have had so many problems, the spring on the drive cable broke for me also. i have had the handle from the BBC fall off, and also had the rear weel assemble break. i am going to see if my dealer will give me another 21 in exhange for the 26"
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

That Big 26" Blade may Just Leave Trails in Longer Grass Period...My Toro Big Blade 32"...The One w/the Big 32" Blade...not the 2/16" Blades....Is Horrible in Lush Turf.
  5. KrisD

KrisD LawnSite Member

I've had similar problems too. First day broke the traction cable spring. Two days after it was fixed, the bolt that holds the transmission to the frame broke. Then they gave me another machine. First day, traction cable broke. They had some big wigs from exmark come look at it. They say they are having problems with the cable and are looking at upgrading it to a more heavy duty cable. I get to try it out again tomorrow. Besides that it seems slow, doesn't mulch too well, and is a pain to change the blade. I won't be getting another one anytime soon.
  6. Northwest

The mower leaves trails of cut grass in the wheel marks not pushed down grass but does not do it all the time. Today (dry and 80 degrees) left them in one yard here and there but did not leave them on a subdivision entrance I checked that the crew had mowed. Ditto on the blade changing, the plastic cover has a small allan head bolt holding it down that you have to be careful not to strip out. Makes you wonder who their LCO test companies are, I could have told them these problems with less then a month with the mower. Maybe they rushed this to market a little early.

The reason I bought this mower was because no one here had anything bad to say about any exmark mowers in the past but I guess it is true with them as well as everyone else do not buy the first year production of anything. Good luck on them selling any Navigators my dealer has them but has not sold any. At least I only gambled $1300 not $10,000 or whatever the price they want for the Nav is.
  7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Early? My dealer still doesn't have any. They were supposed to be out in April, then May...
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Yes it will leave "wheel trails" in long grass. Also if you expect to mow hills in third gear you can also forget about that. I have got it to mulch reasonably well using a grinder and adding deflectors but will probably have to remove the rest of the of the inner velocity baffle to get it to mulch leaves. Mine has alo lost all of the grease they pack between the sealed bearings and Exmark tells me this is normal and won't cause a problem. My regular Exmark mechanic says not so.
    Thanks for the info on the cable springs I will buy more.
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I Tried to Warn you kids about the 26" Metro but Nobody Listened...it was Designed as a Bagger....The 21" Metro/Proline Will outmulch it Every Day and Twice on Tuesday.
  10. Northwest

Are you talking about the blade spindle bearing, I forgot about that mine is leaking grease out the bottom of the blade spindle bearing also.