26" Exmark

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by angnak, Aug 9, 2005.

1. angnak

angnak LawnSite Member
    from NC

Has anyone tried this mower yet? Any input on it would be great.

Thanks

2. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I would do a search on this mower and I am sure that you will find that the majority of people who bought one, wished that they didnt. Lots of problems across the board with this mower.

Just like a new car model, you should wait a few years till the manufactor gets all the bugs worked out.

3. LandscapeSolutions

LandscapeSolutions LawnSite Member

I heard the 26" exmarks have many mechanical bugs to work out. Also I hear they are heavy and too clumsy to use as a replacement from a 21" mower.

4. Dave_B-The_Grass_Guy

Dave_B-The_Grass_Guy LawnSite Member

I have heard the same here, not all of the bugs have been worked out yet. Although I like the idea of the engine remaining running if the handle is released but the blade stops moving (in case one has to move a hose in the yard or pick up a newspaper). That and the belt driven blade to prevent damage to the motor shaft in the event of a blade colision with a tree root, rock, or half buried object. I ruined a 21" Toro hitting a peice of rebar that was hiding in the grass. Bent the shaft, and it leaked out all the oil before we got it back to the shop. Ended up having to replace the entire motor with a new Kaw, about $380.00. A belt driven blade would have made that experience a lot cheaper. However, Toro doesn't have one as yet, at least not one that's a push unit anyways, nor in my price range.

Someone recently told me Toro and Exmark are the same company. You would think Toro, who has provided high quality equipment in the past, would have got it right the 1st time, rather than release a product out that isn't quite up to their prior standards. But maybe that's what the Exmark Brand is for.

5. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Answer to your question, they are so "good" that Exmark has stopped production on them until they can fix the problems. I am a not proud owner, do a search. Along with the other problems my crew just seized up the kawi motor after two months. Kawi is warrantying it but said we should have realized it had a bad gasket (blowing smoke occasionally, foreman thought the laborer was just choking it to much). I have run honda 21's for seven years and never had a engine problem other then when a worker hit a hidden tree stake and the crank got bent. In fact the old broken down honda mowers I have still have running engines after five years.

6. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

The 26' snapper is a lot better IMO. It has swivel wheels in the front which makes it very maneuverable around trees/beds where things get tight.