26" Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j05h22, Apr 15, 2008.

1. j05h22

j05h22 LawnSite Member

I'm interested in a 26" exmark... Who uses them and what do you think?

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not buy one. Search that mower on this site and you will clearly see why. They are not popular on this site at all. Find something else.

3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

It seems to be a consensus that everyone who bought one, hates them. Under powered for sure. I also wanted to buy one but was scared away by all the bad reviews here on Lawn Site. Mind you one of the Dealers here says they're Great!:rolleyes:

4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Well I broke down and bought one a week ago. So far I love it. I have the latest model with all the fixes on it. This mower is perfect for my operation. I have mowed several lawns with it and can not figure out why everyone else hates it. It is built extremely strong, it seems faster than my 21's, maybe just my imagination but 3rd speed is plenty fast. It mulches ok, not quite as good as the Toro 21 Recycler, but not bad. I did a first time mow on a lawn that was full of leaves and high grass, it went through ok on the first time, on the second pass it was looking great. I am sure it bags ok, although I try to stay away from bagging. Very easy to change heights, it has the Kawi 6 hp. Some have said under powered, I guess it is if you are planning to cut overgrown lawns all the time. For your weekly mowings this mower should be perfect. For 1/4 acre and below this mower is ideal. You can't compare this to a 32 or 36, it is comparable to a 21 but with a wider cut. If you feel you need 15 hp to mow your regular weekly smaller accounts, then you might look elsewhere. So far for me it has exceeded expectations.

5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

How can you tell if you have one that has all the fixes compared to the previous version? I don't trust dealers.

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

guys that bought some of the original ones can't let it go, but despite their posts, all the issues have been addressed . If they were that much of a dud, exmark would have scrapped them . Kinda like the Triton decks......

Let it go. Let it go. Let it go.

Guy just posted above.....he bought one and loves it. Consensus of everyone who has purchased one of the past two years, as long as they are on one of the updated units.

Also, the blade is belt driven on a spindle.....like a commercial walk. 6hp is plenty of power. All about pulley ratios.........

7. jahbp

jahbp LawnSite Member

I have owned one for six months it is heavy but you get use to it, it dose mulch but it leaves a pile of grass on the left wheel side even if I recut it will still be there ,bags good ,if the grass is high it will kill the engine. My blade belt broke called exmark they did nothing that was a pisser to replace.

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Power was fine on mine. My biggest two complaints is the mower is too long and two heavy for it's intended application which is small residential yards.

Second it is and never will be a good mulcher as Exmark blew the deck design in that the left side of the deck is too narrow. The grass/ air has now choice but to increase velocity and exit the left side of the deck and leave a trail. To bad because if it mulched well I would buy another one . As it stands we have either a toro/ exmark 21, a Honda 21 in commercial mulchers and the next step up is a TTHP hydro 36. To bad because I would muscle the machine around my small yards if it only mulched. If you want my input on making it mulch a little better P.M. me as I spent countless hours trying to make it work.

9. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i have owned one for 2 years . well worth the price and only had one problem. the handle snapped off. one of the sponsors on here found out and sent me a handle for free. i put it on and have been happy . it is heavy but we do small lawns and it is the biggest one we have, we will probably pick one more up at the end of this year..

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good dealer that I trust, he assured me that it was the latest, he said he pulled the old units. Why the all the talk of how heavy this is? My 21's weighs about 100lbs and this weighs around 150. Just what you would expect for bigger tires and deck.