1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

26 HP EFI Kohler not charging battery...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by talonracn49, Mar 27, 2007.

1. talonracn49

talonracn49 LawnSite Member

This is on my Great Dane Chariot 61". I checked all of the fuses, and put on a new battery thinking that was the problem.

I checked the connection on the rectifier ( I think its the rectifier -- it has three wires going to it and is mounted on the side of the engine, looks like a heat sink.)

Any ideas before I take it to a dealer?
  2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

With the engine off, check continuity of the stator wires. And also check if there is continuity between them and ground. Should have low resistance between them and no continuity to ground.

With engine running at high speed...anything 3200+ should do. Check AC voltage out of the stator. Should be 28+ volts I think.

That would rule out the stator...so most likely the Rectifier/regulator. However it could be a bad connection or something else going on between there and the battery that could be more difficult to find.
  3. talonracn49

talonracn49 LawnSite Member

Thanks, I will try it.
  4. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

found this in a search, thanks great info
  5. scooterdayton

scooterdayton LawnSite Member
    Male, from Wisconsin Rapids

my engine kohler cv26efi was popping and thought it was a valve or something, couldn't figure out what was for life of me, checked everything.
    finally found a place hooked up to computer found loose ground from the battery but was under plastic.
    so that popping was I'm guessing the ground rewilding itself. .

now years later I'm burning up positive terminals and battery is overcharging, guess ill try replacing battery first then ill know its the rectifier or not.

hope this helps somebody