26 hp enough on 61" wildcat??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IHusky, Sep 5, 2007.

1. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Is a 26 hp Kaw enough horse on a 61 Scag wildcat? Thank you.

2. tgaskill

tgaskill LawnSite Member

I have an exmark 23/60" and a 25/72" no problems at all on maintained property. Even tall grass it works good, if you're wanting to brush hog a field of 6' tall grass you'll have a problem with anything.

3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Plenty of power ....

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here's my 'pinion...

As you know I'm running a 60" with a 25 hp Kaw air cooled.
    The deck has additional overlap between the blades, so it runs three 21" blades.
    So same blade length as that 61".

I think it is fine most of the time side discharging with single blades, and also fine mulching with single blades as you have to slow anyways for mulching.

It will power through anything within reason at a speed that matches the application. You can push it and drop the RPM's (I have an onboard tach) but you are not going to choke it down and stall it unless you are going nuts. It has good torque and mine seldom drops under 3600 RPM mowing normal lawns.

The 26hp L/C "charts" to have a tad more torque and HP. Being that it is liquid cooled, it should run closer to that at all times and not "fade". It should also hold it's power more hours. That's the L/C theory anyways.

Plus, on the scag, it should be coupled with the Velocity Plus deck... and I gotta think by all accounts that this deck should be less of a drag on the engine than my deck.

So I gotta think it would be fine. I would however demo the mower on some longer grass if possible and see how the single pass clippings look. You might find the Velocity deck to be a good application for "double blades" to chop the clippings finer and avoid the second cleanup pass. IF this does turn out to be the case, you are probably going to want to either step up to the Tiger for big power or accept 2 passes on such occasions with the Wildcat.

I say this because I have been playing with doubles for the heck of it this week. I can tell they are certainly on there before I ever start cutting grass.

5. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Here is my take on it as I have that exact mower/deck/engine combination. If you are side discharging and using the standard lift blades it's fine. If you are going to try to run the super high lifts it's marginal in normal conditions. Super high lifts and tall/wet grass not enough. I would think doubles would be out of the question as would be a full blown mulch kit with that motor on the 61".

With the standard blades I can cut thick high stuff at almost full stick. The velocity deck gets the clippings out in a hurry but it gets good dispersal, doesn't clump and is very efficient. The only complaint that I have with it is that the cut quality decreases a bit at cutting heights of over 4 1/4". It's not bad just not as crisp as it is at 4" and below.

-TAZ

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 61" tiger cub and 52"wildcat both have the 25 Kaw and cut great. the 52 cuts the thick stuff better but It nothing that really affects anything we do....

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That should be plenty of power.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Envy makes some good points.

I have two 26hp LC Kawasaki's. One's on a 60" SuperZ and the other is on a 66".

For the 60", there is plenty of power for most all conditions. For the 66", if conditions are "normal", it's fine. If the turf's really thick or wet or maybe there are a lot of hills, it can struggle at times.

Fortunately for both machines, you will find the power does improve after 50-100 hours. LC engines need a little longer to get really "broke in". But when they are, you'll actually find it doesn't bog or grunt in places it used to when it was new. And when it's 100 degrees outside, there will be absolutely no fade in power at all. :)

9. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" with the 26 LC kawasaki. More than enough power, however if I put super high lift blades in tall wet grass, you can hear/feel the engine load up more. Standard blades, nothing slows it down.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well my 25hp 60" likes to cut out on me when I try to full stick it up a steep hill through thick grass, does ok stump grinding but I prefer fixed decks for that, they just don't make them to the specs I'm used to :laugh:

Other than that I think you'll find 26hp quite adequate for a 61", a super turbo it isn't but it does pretty good.