1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

26 hp Kawasaki coolant in oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Travis Followell, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Model FD731V around 800 hrs and is getting a significant amount of coolant in the oil. I'm not very familiar with these particular engines, is this a common problem with these small liquid cooled engines? Any ideas?

My first thought was head gasket, i'll be getting a service manual and tear into it. Anyone know a good product to use to clean the sludge out of the crankcase?

2. PennaLawn

PennaLawn LawnSite Member

Do a compression test on both cylinders..does sound like a head gasket though, sorta the only link between oil and coolant. Hope I am wrong but not a huge fix!

3. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

Most likely a head gasket, not a big job. It hasn't been cold enough to freeze and crack the block.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Got the service manual, we're not lucky enough for it to be a head gasket, it'll probibly be the oil seal in the water pump, have to pull the engine off for that because the water pump is on the bottom.

5. rexxxy

rexxxy LawnSite Member

i assume it ended up being the water pump..
    just wandering if there was anything you could give me a heads up for..
    thank you for your time
    brandon

6. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

There is a mechanical seal at that pump to keep coolant out. Most likely thats where you're problem lies and it's not a huge job once the motors out