26 HP Kawi Coolant Level Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyGuy, Jun 19, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have a 26HP Kawi liquid cooled. It only has like 40 hours on it and I have had to top off the coolant level 2 times to keep it between the high and low marks. I noticed today that it is back down in the below the low line again. This willl be the third time now.

Do you think it is losing coolant or do you think that it was low from the dealer and the engine is just holding it.

I posted a thread about this the last time, but I didn't get much help. I will call the dealer tomorow, but I have to mow with it like this all day.

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Watch your temp guage and see if it is getting hot at all. I have a cooling fan that kicks on and off with a thermostat. I don't monitor my levels as close as you but I watch for leaks everyday. What mower are you running it in?
  3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

No temp. guage, only a light that comes on if the oil pressure or temp. is out of line. It is on a Gravely 260Z.

There are no external leaks and the oil looks good, no signs of coolant.

I just checked the Kawi website and it says that the engine holds .72 gallons of coolant. That is quite a bit so it may have been low when I got it new. Also, do you visually see your level go up and down in the overflow? I never see it move. It stays in the same place all the time and then all of a sudden it will be low when I look at it the next time.
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

The coolant level should go up a bit when hot and go down a bit when cold. But it shouldn't change during normal operation.

If it was under-filled from the factory and had an air pocket, then I could see you needing to add coolant, but only a little bit and not continuously.

How much have you had to add to it? If it keeps up and you are sure there are no internal leaks, get it back to the dealer. It may be leaking internally somewhere(head gasket possibly) and the coolant is getting burned in the combustion chamber and going out the exhaust. The sooner the better, coolant in the engine isn't good. It strips oil from bearings and cylinder walls.

There also may be a couple other issues:

Cold water leaks, sometimes when an engine cools down it will get an external coolant leak, but at operating temp there won't be any leaks anywhere due to expansion of metal parts at operating temp. You said there are no leaks, so I assume that it's not leaving a puddle on the ground either.

Also, depending on where it's leaking, and I see this a lot working on diesel trucks, an external coolant leak can develop but because the engine is hot, the coolant is evaporating right as it exits at the point of the leak. So you really don't see much but maybe a small whitish spot at the point of the leak where the coolant has been "boiling" away.
  5. fire1man

fire1man LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with new 26hp lc on my 260z.I add fluid several times to keep it to the full line and now i havent had any problems at all stays on full line.I think mine had air in the system.
  6. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i too had the same problem on my new 260z with the LC Kaw 26.

After about 400 hours it settles down.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Oh....the horriffic memories of LC'd engines....

I wish you all well, but to me these little things steered me away from this engine. Now if it offered 30+hp and happened to be LC'd, then I may have considered it. To me it was just an underpowered 23hp Kawi.