26 hp Kohler EFI

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, Oct 21, 2004.

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone heard of problems with this engine relating to the EFI? I was told that there are a "shortage" of techs that work on the EFI for Kohlers and this could result in considerable delays, should it go down?

Brian

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

The only bad thing I have heard is if the computer that controls the EFI gets wet it will most likely have to be replaced. I think Kohler may have done something about this by giving the computer a little more protection from the elements. This wouldn't be a problem on a new more with this engine now. I think this problem only existed when the engines first came out.

3. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have had 3 EFI,s 1 26h & 2 28 h. Absolutly no problems with any of them!
    Great fuel economy & lots of power.

4. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

Have 26 EFI walker eats more gas then my truck. fouls plugs real PTA I am going to GIE in Charlotte and want to talk to Kohler and walker Dealer had for two months and never got right. I had to do one recall my self just so I could use it at all. After dealer said he had done it. Took pictures of before and after I did it so he can not lie. Sorry had to change plugs in it again today need to vent when I saw the thread on 26 EFI I about exploded. I love my walker hate hate hate the motor. And I have Kohler on all my other stuff Know problems. :angry: :angry: :angry:

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, these engines were a living nightmare for some owners and all of it EFI related.
    Some of the issues electronic, some of the issues fuel delivery.
    Some of it Kohler's fault...

More of it the mower MFG's fault for lack of R&D.
    If you just bolt them on, what more can you expect?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 26 EFI on my 200 Lazer that has close to 900 hours on it. No probs so fasr...runs great!

7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Be sure to ask about this for me, please. I spoke with the areas three larger Kohler dealers today. NONE of them recall servicing any EFI's at all. I think my next step is to talk to the sales people and see if this engine is actually selling on any of their units, regardless of mower manufacturer.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming if you hear more.

Brian

8. Grasman

Grasman LawnSite Member

I also have 3 EFI's two 26hp(both over 1000 hours) and one 28hp (500 hours) all on Exmarks.No problems with the 28 put a fuel pump on one 26 and a regulator-rectifier on the other. I figured out what the problems were on both so I ordered parts and fixed them. I don't feel that the problems were the fault of the EFI I have had the same type of things go wrong with other engines it's just part of doing business. I will be getting another 28 hp EFI Exmark in Nov., love the power.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 26EFI in a 2000 Walker which makes it one of the first in the mass production year. I have over 1250 hrs on it. There was one warranty problem in the first 2 months, Bosch had a screen on the fuel pump that had a mesh that was too small. The result was fuses blowing as the pump strained for fuel. The pump was replaced under warranty and I have never looked back. It is sad to hear that you are having so many problems with that motor. I know that there can always be a bad apple in the bunch and I am not discounting the fact that you have problems. It sucks. I would write to Mr. Walker and explain the deal. The Walker company is very good to small business owners who have their equipment. They have a direct connection to the Kohler company and you may do better explaining to them. I know, it happened to me and my 97 Walker with a piece of junk 25HP Kohler. Good Luck.

10. CathyLynn

CathyLynn LawnSite Member

Yes-WALKER is very responsive. Your dealer should be your first stop!

We run EFI units in our WALKERS and have never had a problem other than the fuel pump thing a few years ago.

An important point that is often overlooked is that all EFI units should be warmed up for a few minutes in the mornings! The actual computer controlling does not start until the engine oil and exhaust temp reach a certain point. if you do a quick start and shut off on a regular basis you confuse the oxygen sensor, which is an easy fix. The dealer should have the program on his computer that hooks up to the engine and immediately diagnoses the problem!