26 inch deck

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dishboy, Apr 24, 2008.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I bought the first 26 inch in this state. Luckily for me Exmark was kind enough to buy it back. I understand the bugs have now been resolved. Does Exmark have any plans to deepen the left side of that deck so it might be a acceptable mulcher? If so I would buy another.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

dishboy,

We currently have no plans to change the deck design on the 26. For the most part, we haven't heard any mulching complaints. Can you describe what mulch issue you were having?

Thanks,

3. dishboy

from zone 6

Most who owned this machine on the Lawnsite regular commercial forum complained about this machines lack of mulching ability. I can't believe Exmark is not aware of the issue . The deck is to shallow on the left side , this results in to much velocity dumping clippings out the left side in a trail. I know Exmark is aware of this , heck the local Exmark salesman even commented that this is a issue for guys bagging tall grass. The Toro/Exmark 21 (none Blade brake model) mulches great , if Exmark would of copied that design, but bigger problem would of been averted. I cut and pasted the following out of the Lawnsite commercial forum, aparently all the dealers know the machine won"t mulch but Exmark doesn't.....who you kidding!

"Exmark Metro 26" Mess Finally Solved
    After much time, effort and debate, Exmark has finally decided to take back the lemon that was my 05 Metro 26". Although they will not be giving me a refund, they have offered me one of the following choices:

06 Metro 26" ($1 850 Canadian)
    06 Metro 21" with Kawasaki/BBC ($1 450/Canadian)
    06 Metro 21" with Honda/BBC ($1 750/Canadian)

My dealer suggested avoiding the 06 Metro 26". He had a book from Exmark that highlighted the changes and he felt that the changes would help with durability but not with performance, especially mulching as no upgrades to the unit's mulching capability were included in the book from Exmark."

4. dishboy

from zone 6

No reply to leaving left side grass trails?

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

dishboy,

The issue you are speaking of, we refer to it as tracking. I've done plenty of testing with 21" units and they all track (either left or right side, depending on the unit) when cutting tall, lush grass. This is especially the case when mulching. I'm sure the 26 will do it as well when then deck loads up with material. It's really hard to tell what the real problem is since grass conditions change from location to location.

When designing new decks there are some trade-offs. As most users most likely know, it's very hard to design a small (21" or 26") deck to do both applications (mulch and bag) really well. I think we're all in agreement that the 26" is a much better bagger than it is a mulcher. There are considerably more landscapers bagging than mulching, hence the decision to make the 26 a good bagger, even if it meant sacrificing some mulching performance.

Thanks,
    KC