26 inch mower help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pristine PM, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

Hi, I am looking at buying 5 small walkbehind mowers for townhouse complex use and saw that a few companies offer a 26 inch mower. Does anyone have any experiance with these mowers? It is either these, or 21 inch. 36 would be to big for these properties. I did search and know that there are issues with some of the exmark models, but I know that there are other companies that make this size of mower.

Thanks,

Jon

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

exmark makes a 32 inch walkbehind

3. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I would get a 32-34" z. Exmark, scag, hustler and toro (coming out soon) make one.If you want a wb lesco makes good 32 or if you want a 21" toro prolines are the best.

4. Pristine PM

Sorry, not to sound rude, but I really just want to know anyone that has a mower that is of similar style to a 21 inch mower, but is larger. There is an Encore Classic and an Exmark Metro that would fit this concept, I have looked to see if there are other companies that sell something like this and can't find any others. I take care of very small lots and a z would have no place on them, neither would a 32 or larger walkbehind.

Thanks,

Jon

5. greenbronco

greenbronco LawnSite Member

you might do a search on the exmark 26 or snapper26 here, seems to me there have been several posts on this ( very few favorable), I too considered buying an exmark metro26 but based on others responses here and a price of 1500 seems not too justifiable. either go up 32+ or stick with 21" seems what most say. really with several guys and small yards 21" might be more effiecient anyways. I noticed when i compared a walker 48" and 42"( i have mostly 1/2acre or less) i didnt see any difference in fact because several lawns were uneven and hilly, im sure there would be lots of disagreement on that seein that wider decks are most popular tho

6. Pristine PM

Thanks, I did search for the metro, but some of the posts said that they had resolved their issues, so I was looking for current posts on the metro and any other brands. I didn't know about the snapper, only could find info from Encore about its classic. I know what you are saying, but I also think that cutting 100 small 10x10 townhouse lots might be alot quicker with this type of mower. 20 seconds times a hundred places could easily be 33 mins for one mower (if my math is correct). I really want something that is the same style as the 21 inch, nothing hydro or complicated, or heavy.

7. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Just so you are aware, I don't know anything about them but Dixie Chopper is advertising 22" and 24" mowers on there site at pretty good prices. http://dixiechopper.com/models_WB.php

8. metro36

Carso
    Those dixies are made by bradley/redhawk. I would steer clear of them.
    Pristine
    I would just but a toro proline 21" in your case. They are the best out there and last forever. I am still running one that is 8 years old.

9. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I just seen it and figured if he was looking for small mowers he may want to look closer at them. I really did not know anything about the machines. I am not looking for machines right now. Thank You for the info, I am sure he will need it.

10. metro36

No prob. I am always glad to save someone from buying junk.