26 inch Snapper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ealbertson, Jan 13, 2003.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search and didn't find anything on the 26" Snapper walk behind mower. I would like to know how good a mower this is. I have a 36" exmark which is a good mower but I need something much lighter.

Thanks for any help you can give,

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I entertained the idea of using one of early last spring. I decided against it for a couple of reasons. They are listed on the snapper site as "residential" mowers. They have a Robin engine which, around here are not as prevelant as the 2 cycle Suzuki's (on the Toro Proline 21's) and therefore it could be a bit more difficult (and costly) to get parts. I can't remember what the cot was at the time, but decided to save my pennies until I could get a commercial quality 32" unit.
  3. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I to looked at the 26" Snapper. My dealer told me it was a homeowner grade and that it would not hold up to commercial use. He sells another 26" thats black but I cant remember the name of it. This one is supposed to be a better quality one but its still homeowner grade. I agree w/ Ed. Save your money and get commercial 32. I dont think it will be much lighter than your 36" though.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out this thread. I have thought about using a 26" mower also. Something bigger than a 21 but smaller and lighter than a 32/36" gear drive. I saw one of the snappers in a store a few years ago and I agree they weren't commercial grade. Basicly just a 21 wiht a bigger deck and castors in the front. even had just the 6hp engine. I am currently loooking into the Johnson , Kee, and Encore (made by kee) 26 inch. they all look much better built than the snapper I saw. the encore even has a welded steel deck. they run right around 200 pounds or less and from $1000 to $1200 list price. Not much moe than some commercial 21" mowers. The only thing I haven't figgured out is how to bag with one. Maybe a small Accelerator bag can be fit to one.

I'll post any more info I get.