26" on hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ofishil, May 9, 2007.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

I am thinking of getting a 26" for some backyard slopes I mow. I was wondering if anyone had any feed back on this. A 32 will not get the job done due to gates, patios you have to go over, steps you have to take mower down, size of the yard, ect... A dealer has a snapper 26" for 1100 another dealer has a exmark 26" for 1500 i think. And i did find a used "like new" encore (which i know nothing about for 600). Since I never used one would this be a better option than a 22" mower. It will have to be carried down some steps as well (but i can save a 22" if i have to). I will also use it on flat small gate yards. The point is to make it easier on my back and this will be more reliable than a 20 year old kid... thanks....

2. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I assume you're talking about a 26" WB? I've not tried or even seen a snapper 26" WB but I did try the exmark 26. I decided on another 21" proline instead since I love them and the exmark seemed a bit clunky. I just like to be able to manuver the thing around the yard without any trouble.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

In my opinion, the extra 5 inches is not worth the extra cost (and weight) over a 21".

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the snapper has disk drive and only drives 1 wheel= no good for slopes

5. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

thanks for the comments... thats what i was afraid of. Does anyone know of anything that will work. thanks...

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

The snapper is a top mower,does it have a briggs or kawasaki.

7. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

Briggs 8hp (i think on the hp)

does anyone make a liteweight mower with controls that make it turn (like on a bigger wb) rather than the traditional 21" method.

8. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Get a 21in. Without a doubt you'll be able to do it faster than a 26 in. due to the lighter weight and easier mobility. On the plus side as well, it's cheaper.

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Looking at the snapper is disk drive with differential. The thing that I would be nervous about is the Briggs Intek engine...

10. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

They used to have 9 horse kawasakis.