26" trim mowers on ebay...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Apr 3, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I know, I know, it's not at all a commercial mower. But for those that use inexpensive trim mowers it might be worth while.
    I use a cheap Crapsman 21" as a trim mower for small areas and even 2 backyards where my 36" exmark is too wide for the gate.

I think I paid about the same ($330) for my Crapsman and it's not even self propelled. This one is and it even has a BBC (Blade brake clutch) so you can stop blade without shutting of the mower.

Just thought some might be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2314863040&category=20544

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad bought one of these last year at the Wal-Mart where he works. He paid Closer to $200 for it. when he had back surgery last fall I used his mower to mow his yard a couple times for him. Ii had problems with the blade engagement both times. The machine has a lot of plastic in it, and doesn't go real fast. It did cut the grass though. And it did stripe a bit. I think the stanley mowers were made by murry. I wasn't impressed, but I have been running comercial mowers for a while so I have gotten spoiled.

I am thinking about getting a 26" mower but not one of these. I might try the Encore since there is a dealer here.

3. FLMOWER

FLMOWER LawnSite Member

I wouldn't buy Stanley screw drivers, let alone a lawn mower.

4. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Encore makes a 26? Hmm. I took a look at an Encore 32 inch one time, I didnt like it. It looked cheaply built to me, and it also didnt look structurally sound. For example, the front castor wheel arm attachment to the front of the deck, that didnt look real sturdy. Is that just me, or is that a real problem? Bear in mind I use only SCAG mowers right now, and those are as solid as a freakin boulder.

:cool:

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Haven't seen a 26" from Encore.
    I know Snapper makes (made?) a 26" and then there's the Billy Goat 24", but these are up over a grand.

I only posted the Stanley link because it was fairly inexpensive. I only use my 21" Crapsman about 2 hours a week, maybe less. This isn't much more use then what a homeowner would put on it.
    Certainly wouldn't suggest the Stanley for regular use, just a cheapy trim mower for occassional use, but for more production then a 21" wide mower.

I'd like to see a decent, commercial 26" trim mower on the market at a decent price. Something designed like a regular 21" mower (like the Stanley), but built heavy duty to last.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I looked hard at this class of mower too, for small gated back yards and curvy rolling Bermuda lawns that my bigger decks wouldn't cut well enough. Nothing had it all. Either too cheaply made, not enough power for the deck size, or awkward looking drive systems. Others had questionable mulching ability, others couldn't bag. Nothing did it all. So I got a 32" Toro instead.

I assume there would be a good commercial market for a 26" deck mower that was well built and versatile as an alternative to the usual 21" mowers. handy enough for any lawn, but could handle some bigger areas too.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a link to the Encore 26"

http://www.encoreequipment.com/pages/pages03/classic03.html

I think the design is similar to the Kee 26"
    The Snapper 26" I saw a few years ago didn't look as good. Smaller wheels and only a 6hp engine.
    The encore one looks commercial duty with a welded deck and all.
    If I remember right they weigh around 200 lbs and run around $1000.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Thanks for the link Paul. Interesting mower. Too bad they didn't put castors on the front to make.

9. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe we oughta get Bushhogboy to go make us a Commercial quality 26 inch mower!

:cool:

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmm, sounds like a Stanley salesman ran off with somebody's wife.