265 or 285

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 1999frontier, Oct 4, 2011.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm looking for some tires for my 1500hd 4x4. The stock tires are getting wore out and I can't decide if I want 265/75/16 or 285/75/16. What do you run on your HD's? I like the look of the 285 but not sure if I'm going to have to trim or not. Opinions please.

2. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Well first the 285 cost more, will decrease your gas mileage and will make your truck sit higher which raises the center of gravity thus reducing your trucks handling. Taller tires usually causes the driver side seat to wear as well. Not to mention your spare is going to be a different size. You will also need a different size on your drop hitch, and your speedometer will be off.

Last but not least the taller tires will make your little baby trailer look even funnier when you pull it.

I'm sure there are more, but you get the picture.

3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 1500hd with a body lift, I dont think the 285's would fit without the lift. I just stepped down from 305 to 285. Went with a highway tread over all terrain, what a difference. Go buy some nitto dura grapplers.

Btw, do you realize the 285's are 33"
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 1999frontier

from NC

From what I've heard, 285's will fit might have to crank the torsion bars.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

There is also 255/85's

6. 1999frontier

from NC

I've heard good things about that size but the only tires I can find in that size is bfg KM2(mud terrains). Are there others out there that I don't know about?

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I had 285's on a 2 door Tahoe. Fit ok but wouldnt do it if its a plow truck.

8. 1999frontier

from NC

Mainly going to see city driving and hunting paths during the fall and winter. Nothing really extreme offroading b/c I don't take my truck into the deep stuff or deep ruts. Just the paths get slippery. I had my stock tires (245's)in it last year and didn't have a problem and they are highway tires. We get 1-3 measureable snows a year around here. just wondering how much rubbing if any I will get.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have 265s on my 2500HD. i wanted 285s but didnt want to pay more for the tires that get worse mileage

10. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you running stock rims? Aftermarket rims is when you run into problems. If you have stock wheels 285s are fine. I had 285s on stock rims, cranks the torsion bars a little(not all the way) no cutting. I recently put 20x10s same height tire with a wide offset and had to cut alot. A friend of mine had a chevy on stock rims running 315s. Is yours chevy or gmc? Chevys bumpers are different than gmcs. gmcs have less room = more cutting.