1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

26hp efi motor trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tlcgrounds, Jun 7, 2001.

1. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I've got a efi and it surges at times when the blades are on and mowing. The plugs are good the fuel filters change clean air filter too. It mostly happens early in the morning. any suggestions.
  2. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

may be the govener,but i bet its starving for gas,as they run lean anyway ,not really up to date on the efi,hard to believe they are on lawnmowers,esp kohler as they can't keep there regular motors running chk an see if the shut off at the tank has a screen in it plugging it up a little
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Take it to your dealer in the morning and explain to him what is going on. The beauty of the EFI is the computer diagnostics. Its like your car or truck. He should be able to plug it in and tell. Also I would imagine that it is still covered under Kohlers 2 year warranty so if you have a problem hopefully there will be no out of pocket cost. Let me know what happens as I have a 26 efi on my Walker.
    Good Luck
  4. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

There are two things that could be causing the surging on the efi, one is if the governor is slightly out of adjustment. Governor adjustment on this engine is very critical because of how quickly the fuel system can adjust. Another possibility is it may have to have the TPS (throttle position sensor) re initialized. This is a process that your dealer can do for you under warranty. How is the power and starting of the engine? I love seeing fuel injection on engines, it's about time the engine manufacturers get out of the 50's technology and into the items of today.
  5. fjhemmer

fjhemmer LawnSite Member

Try unplugging the ECU plug, it's a long flat pulg. More that likley you will find moisture in it. Blow it out and replug it in.
  6. tlcgrounds

Hey guys I am suprised with the comments. Here's the deal I bought the unit used from another lawn site member along with a few other peices of equipment. Neddless to say that the " these machiens run great" and "I'm a totally honest guy" lines are out the window. I have emailed the seller a few times but I recieved very little response. It doesn't help he lives 1/4 of the way across the country. I have had to do all sorts of little things to this machine like readusting the hydros, releveling the deck, which still mows one inch low- thats the best I could get it. every little thing you could think was out of adjustment. I've contacted kohler a few days ago and still no answer. I've called Exmark and they are about the most help. The guy I talked to suggested that any questions kolher related I should call kohler. My dealer is friendly and I have bought many other Exmark products but this seamed to be a great deal and I woudl save a lot of money if the machine was great condition like I was told. I'm not an idiot- Everything checked out okay atleast for the quick demo. I was just wanting to know of you guys had any ideas befor I have my dealer look at it and give me a bill with an I told you so feeling. Which I deserve, but when you count on a guys word about the history and maintenance of a machine you got to believe him. Well, I must tell you guys that unless you actually know who owned the machine since the time of it's purchase date-BUY NEW- WARRANTEES DO NOT TRANSFER AND DEALERS WON"T APPRECIATE THE MISSED SALE!
  7. tlcgrounds

I checked the diagnostics with a man from exmark and he personally verified it wwas nothing with the computer the code punched out 6-1-1 which is a okay. I'm thinking maybe the system is not fully purging and I need the turn the key on then turn it off then turn it on and crank it up. Maybe that's teh problem.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What does it do, just start cutting out and sputtering a bit after it's been running awhile? Mine does this sometimes when and right after I go over a really rough area. I just figured it was in the safety switch on the bottom of the seat. It CAN bounce me around a bit if I'm going fast enough.
  9. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

Hey Runner,

Mine has been doing the exact same thing. I you go over a rough area it will start cutting out and missing bad then after a minute or so it will straighten back out. I thought the fuel filter maybe had trash in it that was getting stirred up but I changed it and that didn't help. So far I have not figure out what it is causing it. Has anybody else had this problem

10. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

For those of you that are seeing the problem of rough running or cutting out over rough terrain with the EFI that is going to be normal on the exmark/toro units. When you trip the seat switch on these two units it shuts off the power supply to the computer temporarily. This cause the computer to "restart" when it receives power from the seat switch. When the computer restarts it "thinks" the engine has just been started and goes into "open loop mode". This means it starts back up runngin rich and will take a little bit to reset itself. In those really rough areas slow down a little and the problem will not be there.