27/60 or 33/60?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Sep 4, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I'm planning to buy a new Dixie Chopper soon, Which one would you get 27/60 or 33/60?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If you are basically looking at the same unit with different engines...
    I'd go with the 33/60...
    Plenty of ponies on hand for full stick mowing and keeping the blade tip speed up.

If you are looking at the 27/60 Silver Eagle v/s the others...
    Well then there is a lot more to consider I guess.

Personally, I liked the layout of the Silver Eagle better.
    (Yeah, I know it doesn't have every last one of the Dixie trademark features, but still)

I passed on it at the time because it had a 2 year residential warranty.
    I don't know about now.

Dixie has a great pricing and finance deal going on right now.
    100% dealer optional though...

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

33/60 ............ the 27 will be underpowered in thick growth.

4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I'm looking at the 27/60 Flatlander with 11mph ground speed for $8200, and the 33/60 Extreme Mowchine with 15mph ground speed for $9200.

I don't really need 15mph ground speed, but I do want to make sure I have enough power to the deck.

I'm planning to demo a 27/50 Flatlander next week, dealer only has a 50" demo not a 60", but I do want to try the 27hp.

Thanks for the help.

5. Envy Lawn Service

OK then, you should talk to the guys over at the Dixie forum about that...
    And there are some members here who have them too.

The reason being is that you are talking about 2 machines that are similar, but have different drive systems... which can be a MAJOR difference, both in performance and power requirements. Some of the fast drive systems pull a lot of power, especially on long inclines. So those people ought to be able to help.

I'm like you, I don't need the 15mph ground speed.
    Give me comfort, stability, performance and the power to MOW as fast as is practical.

6. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We are VERY happy with our 33/60 and was really impressed with the Flatlander. (50") I cant really comment on the Flatlander with the 60" However im inclined to say that It will be fine. As awsome as the Dixies are they have a thrirst for fuel. Id look at the Supreme model that has the 28hp EFI on it.

We demoed the Flatlander (50") with the 2 bag attachment and was really impressed on all fronts. (other then the deck lift). Good luck!

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Is the 33hp engine a generac engine or a vanguard engine?

8. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Generac on the Dixie

9. Envy Lawn Service

That's my thoughts also....

I like the layout of the Silver Eagle and if I were stepping up from that I'd be comparing the Supreme 28EFI and the Xtreme 33.

How bad is the 33hp Generac on fuel?

10. luv2mow

luv2mow LawnSite Member

i have a silver eagle with 27hp generac. other than some minor issues i really like the engine. remember i am only mowing my 2+ acres so fuel is not really an issue. it uses about 2 gallons an hour running double blades. also. i only have a 44 inch deck which is a must for my application. have used 33 hp and when mowing tall grass such as playing around in my pastures. 33 is much smoother in the tough stuff. if i could keep a tension spring from breaking i would be perfectly happy. hopefully this issue will be resolved this time tomorrow.