27 hp EFI Kohler engine in Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Tonyr, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Was reading a thread yesterday about the 26 hp efi kohler engine that exmark uses, apparently many have had problems with the efi.

I am hoping to get feedback on the 27 hp kohler efi that is new on the Super Z's, soon to purchase and need to know which is the best most reliable engine, 27 hp with efi or without efi?

Does EFI do anything more than possibly saving on feul, e.g more power...anything?

Love to hear the pros and cons with EFI on this engine please...

Tony
    Queensland
    Australia

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 27 Kohler carbed engine on my 60" Super Z and a 26 EFI on my 60" Lazer. My 26 EFI is probably one of the "problem children" you may have read about. Although I think it is fixed now, I still don't know whether or not I would buy another one.

I believe the Kohler you are looking at for the Super is, in fact, a 28 EFI rather than a 27. Now for the low down. My 26 uses less fuel than my carbed 27. Seems to be about 25-30% less in the couple times I have actually tracked usage. I will keep more logs of this though to try to determine exactly how much less over time. Let's use the 30% number for now. If I use it 1000 hours over a couple year period, I might save $450 dollars on gasoline figured at $1.50/gal. Versus the 27 carbed engine, the 26 EFI would be a much tougher sale for me on a Hustler. Especially after using both engines, albeit on different mowers. With the Exmark, you are getting the suspension seat when you buy the EPS with the EFI engine. My 27 Hustler already has that so it's not part of an option package. Now comparing a 28 EFI, to the 27 is a different story. In theory it should be 3 or 4 horsepower stronger, and that certainly makes it more attractive than the 26 EFI.

I would look at the facts. How many hours do you think you will put on it over the course of your ownership? How much is gasoline where you are at? How much extra is the EFI engine going to cost you? Do you have solid parts availability on Kohler engines? If you lose a fuel pump, are you going to be able to have a replacement in a timely manner? This could go either way, so I am sure you will come up with your answer. Basically, if I were putting 1000 hours a year on a new machine, I would probably get the 28 EFI and just trade in or sell my mower(s) every two years. That way the engine would be under warranty and you would really take advantage of the EFI.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I believe the issue other mfg's have had were related to items they installed and or make.
    Items such as wiring harnesses and mounting location and grounding issues with the "brain box" computer.
    We have done some extensive testing in this regard on the Super Z and have gave it a big thumbs up !!!!
    The Kohler EFI we use is a 28hp not 27hp.
    Other than that Kieth sum's it up very well, and he should know....lol...lol...

Later
    Pj

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Keith and PJ, truly appreciated.

The mower is going to be primarily for a contract I'm going for, around a prison, 100 acres perimetre plus well kept front.
    I imagine the perimetre will be once a month or 6 weeks.

Second use is vacant allotments and other good paying yuck jobs.

I'm costing the job at the min speed my Toro Z355 covers, 2 acres an hour knowing the Super Z will eat that.

The grass is Couch, you call it Bermuda I think and kept at 2 inches high, I couldn't imagine cut off amount to be more than 2 inches, but this stuff is thick.

Feul here is mid 90 cents to $1 per litre, the agent here said to expect 5 litres per hour consumption average with the 25hp kawasaki, (the one i demoed a couple of months ago) so I guess the non efi would be similar, larger engine but less load...

So...say I only mow 2 acres an hour, I would complete in 50 hours, at $5 of feul per hour, $250 feul.

Say I mow once every 4 weeks, and the contract is 3 years, that's 36 mows, $250 x 36 = $9000 for feul.

So lets say efi saves me 20%, that would be approx, $1800 saving.

The 28 efi costs $23000 approx with mulch kit.
    I don't know what the Australian price of the 27 hp kohler z ...never asked.

Now I have my facts straight on the efi engine size, though only 1 hp more it should be a noticable difference compared to a 27 hp engine, though the feul saving I imagine is less than the price difference between a 27 hp standard, and 28 efi I expect it should win out on the job.

Thanks fellas!

Lastly, I may open another thread with this but hopefully I won't need to...

For the dumb one here :) on the Hustler brochure it says the deck steel thickness used is .125in welded steel not including reinforcing steels.

Toro says their new decks are 7 guage high strength steel, 50,000 psi min. yield strength.

Which is the heaviest deck?

Which is the strongest deck just going by the deck shell material used?

I know it doesn't matter that much as I know what I'm buying next...I have enough red on my trailer now, time to add a different colour:)

Thanks again.

Tony.

PS, P.J. My agent is now in the US, Chris Adams from Hewlett Equiptment here in Brisbane. Left yesterday our time.