27 HP Kohler Issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scagguy, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up a new Lazer Z 2 weeks ago, After approx 3 hrs, engine started to smoke on start up. Somestimes it last for 10 seconds, other times 30 seconds or more. Changed the oil at 5 hrs, (Castrol 10-30). Smoke continued after that. Then started hearing what appeared to be lifter knocking while idling after cutting a yard. Sometimes you hear it, some times you don't. Lastly, at times the engine will try to run after turning the key off. Currently, has 16 hrs on it. Already talked to my dealer about this. He'll probably stuff a new engine in it sometime next month when I can afford to let it be down. My question is, has anyone else had this set of problems, and if so, what was the remedy?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Issues with Kohler 27 horizontal engine have been very few. You probably just got a lemon. I'm sure Kohler will stand behind it.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two Kohlers and I have to run Penzoil high mileage 10/40 or the lifters will tick like crazzzzzzy

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

they all try to run backwards as you call it after turning the key off....

dont idle down turn it off at full throtle

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Our dealer is telling me to stay away from 10-40 in the '07 Turf Tiger.
    We've used it for over 1500 hrs in the '01 though with no issues. This new one with the 27 has some strange behavior. Power is not quite where it should be and it's temperamental to start. You need to turn it over longer than the other 2 kohlers. It's almost as if we got a 30hp marked as a 27.

Keep us posted on any progress you make.