27 HP kohler problems

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by underdog726, May 19, 2012.

1. underdog726

underdog726 LawnSite Member

I have a Craftsman tractor with a 27HP kohler twin, it starts right up and idles good, but if i try to travel or engage the blades it instantly quits. I'm guessing internal engine problems, like valves or pistons. Just today i noticed for the first time that its leaking some oil around the filter.

2. underdog726

I Know I'm new on here, and maybe i cant provide enough details, but over 150 views and no comments, I'm hoping to find out if its worth repairing and I'm on a limited budget(like most people).. thanks, mike

3. underdog726

thought id bump this up and at the same time pad my post amount numbers all the way to a massive 3. thanks in advance, mike

4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

what happens if you raise the engine speed without moving or engaging the blades?

5. underdog726

Sorry, i should of addressed that, the engine speed increases ,as it should, but still stalls if i attempt to have it do any task. thanks for the reply. A neighbor said it sounds like its running on one cylinder?

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

could it be any of the safety switches causing it to bog down? maybe a short in the wiring.

7. Banksy

Banksy LawnSite Member

That's where I would start.

8. lawnhoppers

lawnhoppers LawnSite Member

Sounds to be seat switch.

9. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I would start with simple stuff, unplug the seat switch and see if the problem is still present...

10. MR-G

MR-G LawnSite Senior Member

start with the safety switches....seat, brake, blades should each have one....pull wires and try....if nothing then try to jump wires in connector with a paperclip to close circuit thus bypassing the safety switch....do ONE switch at a time so you can rule out any bad ones....please don not operate without switches as that is unsafe...this is only for testing....if still not working then move on to fuel system, make sure fuel is fresh and water free, new filters, good flow and choke not sticking...clean carb....if still nothing check for carbon build up inside the exhaust ports on the heads...remove pipe and spark plugs look in with a flashlight...the ports should be clear of any build up...it only takes a little carbon to cause low power...if the motor runs at idle chances are its nothing too major and is worth fixing....hope some of this helps...good luck

Last edited: May 25, 2012