27 kawi or 35 vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLS LLC, Feb 8, 2008.

1. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'm buying a turf tiger and my dealer has 2 left over models from last year. Both at the same price($10000, for those who would like to know) One is a 27 kawisaki liquid cooled with the velocity deck. And the other is a 35 vanguard liquid cooled with the advantage deck. If it wasn't for the decks I would get the vanguard hands down. Should I get the better deck or the higher horse engine??? Which would you get and why?

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

From everything I've read the Velocity is the way to go,I'm sure the guys that own them will post.How much of a savings are you getting?
  3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

what size deck? I have a 27hp kawi with a 61 advantage and think it has plenty of power.
  4. Wise_A

Wise_A LawnSite Member

that 35 Vanguard is not liquid cooled as far as I know - its air cooled

as such, it has a shorter life expectancy and it burns more gas

go for the kawi

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Do a search under tacoma200 he's a real smart guy an has posted a good deal about the Advantage and Velocity decks,as well as different engines.
  6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

The 35 Briggs does come with the liquid cooled option. The Briggs model weighs 1445 pounds. The 27 liquid kaw. model weighs 1350. The 27 kawasaki model should be the newer model with the velocity plus deck. The advantage would be an older model. Get the dealer to run the serial numbers and tell you what year the model is. I have compared the 29 dfi to the Briggs and with the fuel consumption I will be purchasing the 29 dfi. I hade the 23 liquid cooled kawasaki an a 52" Turf Tiger with the advantage deck. It had plenty of power. The 23, 27 and 29 are the same block just the fuel systems are different. They both have the same ccs. Also look at the velocity deck and see if it comes wit the "wear pad" on the side of the deck. Scag also started putting the flat free tires on their mowers when they went to the velocity deck. See if they both have this option. Another thing to look for is the adjustable handles. These have been also added. Do they both have the suspension seat? Foldable ROPs? The Briggs is going to have more power hands down. But its also going to use about 1/3 more fuel. I have talked to a few peolple that own the Briggs and my dealer and the only complaint is the fuel consumption. U S Lawns run the Liquid Briggs around here and have great service out of them. The kawasaki is a proven engine. There are alot out there with a bunch of hours on them. They are smooth and better on fuel. Both mowers for the same price is a hard decision. I would make sure they both have the same options except for the deck. I never had an issue with the advantage deck. I think it cuts great. But they say the velocity is awsome. Compare both mowers with a new Turf Tiger and see what their differences are. There are options on a velocity plus "newer" Tiger that weren't offere on a advantage "older"Tiger. If I had to choose I would get the 27 liquid cooled velocity plus.
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

1. I would buy a unit with the Velocity Plus Deck, I would not compromise on
    the deck, period.
    2. If 27 hp is enough for your purpose the Kawasaki would be a fine choice.
    3. If you want some power the 29 dfi Kawasaki is a bit better and the 35
    Briggs is much more powerful, but like I said i would chose the deck first.
    4. I did check the fuel usage on my 31 hp Briggs Turf Tiger with the Velocity Plus deck
    and was getting 1.3 to 1.4 gallons per hour. Which is excellent
    considering that the big Briggs will do so much more work per hour if the
    cutting is tough. By comparison my Kohler 27 hp uses just under 1.2
    gallons per hour and the best 28 Kohlers efi's use about 1 gallon per hour
    which is the best I have heard from any gas powered engine so the
    big Briggs does very well for it's size.

If you need more than 27 hp then I would wait for a new unit to come out and skip the two left overs. The 29 DFI is the most popular Scag right now. Down here you can buy the new Scag TT with the 29 hp lc Kaw or 35 hp air cooled Briggs for about $10,300 (you may have to bargin a little) the last time I priced one. The big Briggs has much more power than the Kawasaki's in side by side test that I've done. That's my opinion, good luck in your choice. I would get the exact engine and deck combination I wanted even if I had to wait. But theres is nothing wrong with the 27 Kaw. Velocity plus is a must. Yes liquid cooled are supposed to last longer.
  8. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you very much for your opinion I appreciate it. Now to answer some of your questions. It is indeed the liquid cooled engine. They are both 2006 and I guess one was just bought a few months early because from what I understand that was kind of the cross over year. The vanguard does not have the run flat fronts, but the kawi does. They both have the suspension seat. And the ROPS. I have seen the vanguard and it does have adjustable handles but I have not seen the kawi. But being that the kawi has the newer deck I assume if the vanguard has it the kawi does too. I understand fuel consumption will be different but I'll take it for the extra power. It's just the deck that I'm hung up on. The only thing I don't know is if the kawi comes with the wear pad, because the kawi was still crated. By the way for the one who asked they're both the 61 inch deck. Unfortunately I won't get to test drive these because I want to buy before the season starts so that someone else doesn't get it and I have to spend the extra money on a 2008 model. And here we just got another foot of snow so I don't think I'll be testing anytime soon. Thanks for all the opinions, keep them coming.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The advantage deck machine will have a shorter frame front to back. The liquid cooled briggs is by far the better motor for a heavy machine like that.

We have an '07 27 kohler with the 61 velocity deck and the power isn't where I'd like it. The frame is a little too long (in my opinion) for a 61 inch machine. The cut is decent but not perfect---never throws a clump though. The advantage deck is good in the 61 and 72 inch widths. Also the 27kawi has the same drive system (10.5mph) as our machine---the big block comes with the suspension seat standard and a faster ground speed (12mph). Also $10,000 for the kawi is at or over msrp for the machine---you are not saving any money on it as a leftover. Our air-cooled kohler was $9200 plus tax (that was msrp, our dealer doesn't cut prices for anyone).
  10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Check out Bad Boy's AOS Models. The 27hp LC Kawasaki is only $8795, and the 35hp Vanguard Big Block is only $8995. http://www.badboymowers.com/
    Saves you a little money, and you get the michigan air-ride seat, 4 wheel indepedent suspension, 15mph, 5 guage steel electronic lift deck with the new air baffles, and by far the strongest frame and deck in the industry. Ohh, and not to mention, a brand spankin new 08 unit!!! That is without any discount, just straight retail!!!