27 kohler not charging

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jimslawncareservice, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

have a 2005 exmark navigator with a 27 kohler. it runs after I charge the battery or jump it. but after a few hours of running it, it drains the battery. any ideas what it could be? I am not real savvy with engines. anything else wouldn't be a problem. thanks in advance

2. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

You need a rectiifier I believe. It is mounted on side of engine with plug going into it. About the size of matchbox with 4 plugs. Keeps your battery charged while working.

3. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

I will give that a try
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mdghs

mdghs LawnSite Member

I don't know if I will be of much help but I too have a 2005 Navigator 27hp and had a similar or the same issue last season. My battery would go dead about every 3 days. I would put the charger on it every night so it would stay charged and start for the next day. I also unpluged the hopper fil system so it would not draw the battery down as fast. I knew it was not the battery cause I changed batteries. I planed trying to figure it out over the Winter when I had time to work on it. I found that a 20amp fuse was blown. I replaced it and the charging system is now working. I tested it with the volt meter and it tested around 14.7. I think that was the problem or hope it was. I will find out when I start using it day to day when the weather gets better. I do not why the fuse blew so that has me concerned. This may not help you much but I hope it helps you find your problem.

5. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

I certainly will check it out as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Exmark PR

Exmark PR Sponsor

The forum is correct in that it is a charging issue but it could be an issue besides a failed regulator/rectifier. We recommend you start by checking the charge fuse, the connections at the regulator/rectifier (don’t forget to check the ground), and the wire from the regulator/rectifier to the fuse/key switch. With the engine running at high idle, the regulator/rectifier should be outputting 13.7-14.7VDC – check voltage at the regulator/rectifier and at the battery; the stator should be outputting a minimum of approximately 38VAC. If you need any additional help, please contact Exmark Technical Service at 402-223-6375

7. Jimslawncareservice

from mn

thank you. i'll check out everyones suggestions. if we can ever get some decent days.

8. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

also, you have bad flywheel magnets that have damage your alternator. they were prone for doing that. I have repair 3 kohlers with that problem. I would do what jimslawncarservice says first and check for voltage output at the battery and rectifier.

9. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

Really? I mean REALLY???? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

10. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

the stator should be outputting a minimum of approximately 38VAC.[/QUOTE]

Just a quick correction. It should be minimum of 28VAC and might be as high as 50VAC