27 Kohler seems hard to start?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 2k1yzfr1, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2 year old Toro Z with a 27 Kohler that seems like it take a lot of cranking over to get it to start. Between yards it normally take 5-7 seconds on the starter to finally get it to fire. Does this seem normal for a Kohler? I have about 400 hours and it has done this ever since I bought it new.

2. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

For whatever reason my Kohler 18 hp on my Ransomes Bobcat was like that. I learned that it had to be choked, ever-so-briefly, each time I started it hot. Choke on full, then off as I started to crank. Just enough to give it a an extra shot of fuel. If I did this, it would fire right away. Just got in the habit of doing it and all was well. Maybe this would help you?

I must say I do like the Kohler 28EFI. Instant start, no playing with the choke, smooth and very responsive engine - not to mention it sips fuel!!

deej

PS. Come to think of it, I have a 16hp twin cylinder Briggs that I do the same thing with when I start it hot ... It will start hot if it cranks a few times, but if I "stroke the choke" while I crank, it will start instantly.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your pretty good a strokin......:p

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

You're BAD, REAL BAD!!! OK, I am out the door and down to the track for the BUD Shoot-Out. I love night racing...See Ya.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Must be nice.....:p , And I'm not really all that BAD....I owed DEEJ one from another thread. :D

6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Yikes, payback time! Touche Restrorob!

7. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean for the starter to actually turn over? Or for the machine to actually start?

I would think that the bouncing around during travel would tend to empty the carb bowl and make it a little hard to start next time around...
    If it doesnt seem tow want to turn over, then you have some form of an electrical issue going on.

8. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

No for the motor to start. Funny thing is when I start it for the first time in the morning it starts by just flicking the key. Seems like when it gets used (hot) it makes it harder to start.

9. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

If you haven't already done so you might try choking it slightly when starting it hot. The EPA has the manufactures running these engines pretty lean and I have seen where they do need a little choke even hot.

10. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

My 27 hr koler in my gravely 260z did the same thing, changed the plugs then it was fine

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :usflag: