27 Kohler vs 28 Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Dec 6, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Brian on the Exmark page just told me that the Kohler 27 and Kawasaki 28 are going to be the same price. So given the choice which would you choose and why. The Kohler is time tested reliable engine and the Kawasaki has more power, cubic inches, and the Kaw name for dependability but this engine it's self is unproven. Exmark told me they were still putting it through the test but Kawasaki usually does their homework? To be honest I was surprised but here was his respone to my question about the price difference.

"Hello,
    zero $ difference, the list on the Lazer Z 27/60 and Lazer Z 28/60 is $9699."

I think the 31 hp Briggs list at $10,300 or so but now it has the torque and hp to get the big jobs done no doubt. But is it as reliable as the other two and would the fuel use be within reason?

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Are there any specs on that 28 Kawasaki anywhere? I havent read anything about it yet. I saw they were offering a 28 on the new Toro models, but know very little about the engine itself.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

4. pugs

Nevermind, I found it. I think anyway. Its a Horizontal shaft engine...I figured it was vertical...LOL.

Looks like they have a 22.5 HP version that is the same displacement. Dunno why they dont have more models between the 22.5 and 28 though.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to see a torque figure on the website. I guess they will have the two year warranty so if its going to have problems it should show up by then. I probably will not buy in 2007 till i get more reviews on the 28 Kawasaki and the 31 Briggs. Dependability, fuel usage, etc...... I have a Toro dealer in town but he is very small so it Toro offers the 28 Kawasaki it would be worth a look.

6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Kawy 25hp horizontal air cooled on my Lazer Z 60in. This 28hp looks almost identical. My 25 might be the best motor I've had on a ZTR. Flawless with a lot of torque even with the Ultra Vac. Three more ponies on the same motor as mine should be some combo.

7. pugs

They definitely have some models with it. I just spotted it when my salesman/rep or whatever dropped off the 2007 program. I was flipping around and saw 28HP Kawasaki and I was like...whats that? LOL. I can look tommorrow and see exactly what models have it if you are interested.

8. pugs

Actually your 25 is a much smaller engine. This 28 has about 100 more cc than yours does. Hmmm, I dont even see the 25 Horizontal on the site anymore. Anyway the 19, 21, 23, and 25 are all 675cc. This new 22.5 and 28 are 764cc. So should be quite a noticeable difference.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What Pugs said is correct. Two different engines.

This 28 should be a stoudt engine.

10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member