27 yards of mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by dewos, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

I had a customer call and ask for a rough estimate of 27 yards of mulch. I told him I would have to see it to see the landscape of where he wants to put the mulch. He tells me its on a semi flat area with a few shrubs.... How can I estimate that with out seeing it... I could tell him my average but then he will be disapointed if he get something different when I get there.. What would you guys say.

2. mowerman41

mowerman41 LawnSite Senior Member

let him know that you need to see the property before you give an accurate quote. He says semi-flat, but his semi-flat and your semi-flat could be totally different....

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I would be:

$70(yd) X 27 = $1890 plus tax.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

tell him you can not accurately price it without seeing the land and if you cant see it he will probably end up spending more

5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

his semi-flat might also be 150 yds from the dump site of the mulch. My average is $60-$65 yard installed, sometimes I have to take into account the 'distance' of walking. (no dumps in driveways, only streets)

6. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

That's mighty precise. I want exactly 27 yds. Sounds to me like he got a quote from somebody else and wants to know if they're screwing him.

7. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

Thats what it sounds like to me... or had it done before and knows how much it took then.

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Either way give him the market rate per yard. Thats alot of work.

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a semi flat back yard too, its 8' above the driveway, only access is up a goat path between the house and garage, not quite wide enough for a wheelbarrow, you'll need to carry the mulch in 5 gallon buckets, and dont dump on the driveway, you'll need to park at the neighbors and carry it over....
    Too many variables for a phone quote.

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, I remember mowing a lawn that was perfectly flat. Only problem, it was at the bottom of a cliff, on a lake, had to carry a 21" mower down (and back up) 72 steps to get to it.