1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

277B Demo!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by McKeeLand, Apr 6, 2007.

1. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

My 277B demo just got here. i am itching to go try it out. they gave it to me until Monday. also threw in a brush hog to try out, that will be fun. Then on Thursday they are going to bring a 287B to try also. it will be a busy weekend, just bought some new property that has lost of brush to clear. i will let you know how it works out.:)
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would demo them and if you want one buy it off iron planet. Personally I would not buy one of these new. They have no value on the used market. Unless you have money to burn, they are a very poor value.
  3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke LawnSite Member

They are cool machines I ran one for a day they have some real power compared to what I'am used to runing. It also had a full cab with heat and a radio with Sirius satelite ,life was tuff that day:cool2:
  4. McKeeLand

Well i demoed the 277 all weekend. i was not impressed with the 277 as much as i hoped. it was a great machine for what it was, i just feel that it was under powered for it size. we had a asv 4810 on rent for several months last year and that thing was like a D-3. its funny i kinda missed the two levered drive controls on the old 4810. i liked being able to control them individually, found it hard with the joystick. i am trying to set up a demo of a rc-85 or 100 to compare the difference. they have more hp than the cat and they are about 6" narrower too. the 277 barely fit on my trailer at over 75" wide. as for the brush cutter that was awesome. i have never used a brush cutter on skid before, only on our tractors with the PTO. i was able to take out 4+ trees with that thing.

ksss, my question with buying used, besides the extra cost of increased financing, is what about the undercarriage overhaul. if i find a machine with 800hrs i will be close to needing at least new tracks and who know what else. i know i will loose buying new, but i want to know the hours that our on that machine are my hours, not some hot shot that abused the hell out of the undercarriage. if it was a wheel machine i would go used.
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Underpowered......sounds familar....buy something else or what for the C series,,,,

how you doing shane....(KSSS)
  6. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

i just saw a 277 with about 1400 hours sell for $14k.

I wouldn't buy new either..
  7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If my math serves me it appears that on that particular machine the depreciation was $25.00 an hour. That is assuming a purchase price of 50K.
    Mckeeland are you really sure you want a new one?

Tim, doing as well as can be expected. Stress is high, my help sucks, diesel is $3.00 a gallon, and I just got back from the tax man. Like they say: The only easy day was yesterday.
  8. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Speaking of depreciation, hold your hat! I really don't like the T190 I bought last Sept. brand new. Cost was about $46K. Had $9k equity in my trade in. I am now in the market for a new ASV 80. The ASV dealer came back with a value on my T190 at $30K!!! That's $16K in less than a year. I have a feeling he will adjust his numbers but even if he comes to $36, I still find that pill a little hard to swallow for depreciation. So buyer beware, and don't rush into buying a machine without demo'ing a few. An expensive lesson I have learned. By the way, the ASV is a beast and if he can make the numbers work I will probably buy it.
  9. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

:dizzy: sounds like someone else I know......
  10. McKeeLand

how is the resale on the asv? i would like to demo the asv, but the closes large dealer is in deleware. i don't want a machine that i have to travel that far every time i need service.