27HP,28 Fuel injected , or 30 Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mimowerman, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

I will soon be purchasing a hustler super z with a 60" deck . This unit will also be used in the fall with a hustler 3 bag collection system . My question to you all is what engine would you reccomend especially if you have them on a hustler mower . The prices quoted to me are:

$7,950 for 27 HP Kohler
    $11,500 28 EFI Kohler
    $10,590 30 Kohler

Thanks for your help! :drinkup:
    Chris

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, for the price difference, stick with the 27 kohler. save teh $2500-$3500 and pay off other equiptment. to me the "better" engines arent worth that much extra.

3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't get it. Why such a big difference in price?

4. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

I've got three of the 30hp Kohlers and we love them flex forks and a nice seat you can't beat a hustler super z. After Two seasons at 250 hours per machine per year they show now age other than deck wheels due to the drought and hard Indiana clay.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Are you sure that 27hp price quote is for a SUPER-Z?

I have the 28EFI and always wish for more power. I couldn't see going with LESS than what I have. Guys with the 30 say they're OK. Personally, EFI is the bomb when it comes to driveability.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I like my 28 EFI too but a little more power wouldn't hurt. It can't be beat for ease of starting and fuel economy.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Also, for those with electric clutches....try starting the engine cold, and AT IDLE, flip the PTO switch on. Most engines will stall.....The EFI just doesn't.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

It still makes no sense to me why Hustler seems to be several years behind in getting a big block on their machines. Get rid of the 30hp Kohler and put on the new 34hp Kohler.

9. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I know what you mean! I have a fleet of 72" Prowlers with 33hp generacs and they have been great! However Encore decided to drop this engine last year so now I am looking at some of theother mower brands and I want power! When you talk to encore they say you do not need anything bigger than a 27hp on a 72" mower! I told them they need to mow what I do and many others in this area do! They would understand why power is needed! Hustler also suffers from this same thinking and that is why you do not see them being used in the large area mowing that I do!

10. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 26 hp EFI and I think its great. It will run forever on a tank of gas and start easily when its cold. Here is the thing about everyone wishing it had more power. EFI engines runs so much smoother and quieter than they don't sound or feel powerful, but in fact they are.