27hp briggs & stratton commercial turf series v-twin with cyclonic air filter vs kawa

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by zwalls, Mar 31, 2013.

1. jvs99560

jvs99560 LawnSite Member

How many hours does your mower have on it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 50dan

50dan LawnSite Member

Has about 60hrs on it now. I bought it late 2012 only mowed twice with it then. It cut my mowing time from 6hrs to about 2hrs from a tractor.

3. jvs99560

jvs99560 LawnSite Member

Just a quick update on my 27 hp briggs. Ive been using mobil 1 0w30 this year and am getting 1.13 GPH. Im using phillips 66 87 octane exclusively. motor has 200 hours on it. You guys with the briggs motor hqve any new info?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Just saw your question. I have seen it all. Motor issues are just random luck of the draw. I ha e seen kawasakis with rods sticking out the side at 17 hours, melted, blown, briggs, kohlers same way then on other hand had some with 4000 hours no issues. Same with diesels, I have seen quite a few kubota diesel failures, and just the other day saw my first cat with either cracked head or blown head gasket...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I am happy to hear this engine is doing well.

6. jvs99560

jvs99560 LawnSite Member

It would be upsetting if you paid all that extra money for those motors and they crapped out. My neighbors Kohler Command had a rod sticking out of it last week and it had 650 hours on it. He changed the oil every 50 hours and really took care of it. So I guess you're right on hit and miss. You think its possible to get 1500 hours out of these new briggs if they are maintained well? I think they are somewhat popular now considering almost every brand puts it in their mid grade mowers.

7. Diamatron

Diamatron LawnSite Member

I am breaking in a 27hp commercial turf on my 200xt snapper pro. Engine seems quite strong on my 61" deck. Only have 1.4 hours on the factory oil, too early to tell if she is burning any oil yet. I have heard from others some of these engines burn some oil fir the first 10 or so hours.

What type of oil should I go with? Maybe royal purple sae30. Or mobile 5w30. Or Dino oil?

8. jvs99560

jvs99560 LawnSite Member

Ive run mobil 1 0w30 for 300 hours in mine and Its running strong and not burning a drop in the 100 hour oil change interval. Mine burned a little oil for the first 75 hours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. curleelawncare

curleelawncare LawnSite Member

Well, my bobcat procat melted the rods last week. At 1800 hours I didn't want to spend the enormous amount of money to replace with a new Kawi. I purchased a Snapper Pro 200xt with the Briggs 27hp. I was reluctant because of some negative reviews I had seen , but the dealer said they have had very few warranty claims and will stand behind 100 0/0. I am gpoing to see if I like it and maybe try to replace the bobcat engine with one which is much cheaper is cost.

10. jvs99560

jvs99560 LawnSite Member

I think youll like the motor. It still works good for me. And I think you can get a new briggs motor like ours for $1000. I assume the kawi is more. 1800 hours hours is pretty darn good. Were you able to determine what caused the engine to fail?
    Posted via Mobile Device