27hp briggs & stratton commercial turf series v-twin with cyclonic air filter vs kawa

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by zwalls, Mar 31, 2013.

1. curleelawncare

curleelawncare LawnSite Member

No word on what caused failure. Mechanic said sometimes internl parts wear and break. I assume 1800 hrs is pretty good but I have heard of units getting 2500-3000 hours. I always was up to date with maintenance .

2. jvs99560

jvs99560 LawnSite Member

Yea man I understand your frustration especially since you spent the time and money to maintain it. It makes me wonder why some of the old mowers around here have nearly 3000 hours and keep on going. Im talking about old school riders feom the 70's. Maybe the old motors arent under the same load as the new ones?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Tcartwri

Tcartwri LawnSite Member

I know Briggs says 87 octane is fine and recommended, but I can clearly hear my motors detonating under heavy load using 87. Detonation will pound the rod ends oval and eventually cause the rod to fail. On 91 I can lug the motors down hard and never hear any knocking.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Tcartwri

Tcartwri LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

5. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I talked to my Grasshopper rep, and he has some running around with 1200 to 1500 hours now. Most I have right now is 700, I have a ton at 500 hours. Only issue we've seen besides a few governor, regulator, and coil issues is the oil leak at the sump gasket. I have seen quite a few with the leak, cool thing is is Briggs is really stepping up to the plate for my customers.... I have seen this issue from 4 hours to 475 hours so far is the spread on the leaks I have had...

6. curleelawncare

I have found the briggs to be under powered for my needs. I mow several biweekly lawns that the engine could not handle, not to mention excessive fuel consumption. 16.5 gallons in 8.9 hours. Dealer said I may have gotten a bad engine or something was set wrong from the factory. Needless to say, I am coughing up the extra money for the 28hp Vanguard big block.

7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys this is a great homeowner engine. It's not a Vanguard or a true commercial engine. Can you make it work ? Sure, but let's not delude ourselves it's not for guys doing 50 +acres a week.

8. curleelawncare

Aftere changing the inital break in oil at 8.9 hours the engine was a different beast. Today it performed great except in heavy morning dew but fuel consumption was still a little high. I have the Vanguard on the way.

9. jvs99560

jvs99560 LawnSite Member

I recently sold my gravely with this motor with 400 hours. It started leaking oil from the sump seal like stated before. Still ran great though. This week i purchased a ferris wuth the same motor so ill add anything that happens.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. 1striper1

1striper1 LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device