27hp kawasaki gph?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G. Ramey, Mar 17, 2014.

1. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

I have searched on this forum and other sites, but have not found answers to a couple of questions. I just bought a 2014 Gravely Proturn 460. I ordered it with the 27hp Kawasaki engine hoping to save a little fuel. Is the 27hp Kawasaki the same engine that was rated at 31hp under the old standards? Does anyone know the gph of the 27hp?

2. G. Ramey

The model number on the engine is fx850v which I believe used to be the model number of the Kawasaki 31hp.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Yes, it is the old 31. I run one in my Z950 with a 60" MOD deck. I average between 1.3 gph in light conditions to 1.7 in heavier conditions.

4. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same engine in the same mower that you are getting. I get around 1.4-1.9 depending if I am bagging or not. It has plenty of power though, I like the engine

I may go through more fuel than Ridin' because I weigh about 240.

5. G. Ramey

That's was what I was hoping to hear. I used a Scag Cheetah last year with a 31hp Kawasaki. It had plenty of power. I am glad to hear it is probably the same engine.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

If it was a 2013 model you drove, it might very well have had the true 31 which is the FX921V. Kawi changed their ratings at the start of 2012, but many manu's had NOS inventory with engines labeled under the old rating system up into 2013 for at least half the year, so it could also have been the FX850.

7. G. Ramey

No it wasn't a 2012. It belongs to a friend who bought it last spring with 1200 hours on it. I don't remember the engine model for sure, but I believe it was a fx850v labeled as a 31hp.

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

What I was saying was that Scag and Hustler among several manu's were still selling machines up into the middle of last year (2013) with old rating labeled engines, so it could have been an FX850 or it could have been the 921.

I have never needed more power than what my 850 provides to run my 60" MOD deck, even mulching heavy thick leaves.

9. G. Ramey

Posted via Mobile Device

10. G. Ramey

Yeah , I'm not worried about power I demoed a Gravely 260 with a 27 horse Kawasaki last year in some very thick foot tall fescue. It powered through with no problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device