27hp Kohler engine loses power on load

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nbizati, Jul 28, 2006.

1. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

I have a kohler engine with 700 hours on my dixie chopper that just recently started having problems. I replaced the spark plugs because I thought I have a bad plug. After i changed the plug the mower starts a lot better now but it loses power after i engage the blades. Any ideas on whats wrong? *trucewhiteflag*
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the governor? or the fuel filter?

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Please clarify "loses power". Do you mean it shuts down completely when you engage blades or is it just running roughly and maybe belching some black smoke from exhaust ?
  4. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

No it doesnt shut down when I engage the blades. The rpms go way down to like 2000. I removed the left side plug and it shut off. But when i removed the right side plug wire it didn't do anything. Could the right side coil be bad? How much $$$ am I looking for repair? I will have to take it into the shop on Monday. Damn
  5. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

Oh and the fuel filter is fine. How do you check the govornor?
  6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

it does sound like the coil. you should do a compression check on that cylinder just to rule out mechanical problems. you really should replace both coils while your in there.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure the plug wire is intact and is seated all the way on the plug.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of sound do you hear from the engine when it is down on rpms? Does it sound like it is bogging and trying to bring rpms up? Does the mower run ok at all other times when blades are not engaged? Is there a loss of power now that never used to be there when blades arent engaged?

Does the engine surge at all? If it does this even when you just start the engine cold and engage the blades then ignition coil isnt your problem.

Remove the plugs from each side of engine, put plugs back into the plug wires and hold each one close to but not touching the engine block or metal shroud on the engine and turn over the starter. You should have a nice blue spark on both sides. Vague information to be going any further.
  9. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

It doesn't make any sound it just feels like your lowering the throttle. It doesn't feel like its bogging down but it does try to bring rpms up slowly. Mower runs okay on flat surfaces but is sluggish. If you attempt to turn or go up hill it acts like it wants to shut off. It never did this before and does it when the engines cold or warm. I ordered a coil and will install myself. I'm 99.9% sure it the coil.