27hp kohler engine???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wallyturcotte, Jun 2, 2008.

1. wallyturcotte

wallyturcotte LawnSite Member

i was wondering what people run for oil in a Kohler engine?? i just bought a walker super b and didnt get an owners manual with it.... the dealer said they dont have one out for it yet?? i think that is bull but anyways what do i run for oil??? can i run synthetic ???

2. wallyturcotte

wallyturcotte LawnSite Member

does anyone know?

3. srqlawn

srqlawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I run the same engine and the dealer told me just straight 30W

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

any 10w30, I would NOT recomand synthetic....

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Any Kohler engine, use 10W30. Whatever brand you prefer. Some guys swear by synthetic, some feel it's not necessary, I feel no reason to ever say to NOT use it. No matter how you slice it, it IS superior to Dino oil, just a matter of what you want to spend and if you really feel that it (the synthetic) benifits you. Now, if you choose synthetic, don't use it before the engine has 50 to 100 hours on it. They say that the engine can't "break in" properly on synthetic and that Dino should be used in the early hours of an engine.

6. KatKutter

KatKutter LawnSite Member

I have ran kohlers for years. 10w 30w. And really most automotive oils are API certified, which doesnt cut it for small engines. Kohler oil is all I ever use. The reason is most autos operate at around 195 210 degress. This air cooled engines we run on our mowers exceed that by quite a bit. The small engine oil is designed for those higher temps. It keeps its lubrication properties and doesnt break down like some auto specified oils will at high temps. Im sure everyone has there prefrence. I just like kohler oil.

7. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

If Its A Kohler Command Use Kohler Command Oil It Is For Those Engines And Its Like 2.75 Per Quart An Oil Change Should Cost You 15.00 If You Cant Afford To Use What You Are Supposed To For Your Equipment Then You Are In The Wrong Business... Trust Me Kohler Command Oil

8. KatKutter

KatKutter LawnSite Member

I agree.. kohler command.

9. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Run Kohler Command Oil and change your filter everytime. Do a complete oil change oil and filter every 25 hours as 50 and 100 hours is too much... They want you to run it that long so if there is a problem they can blame it on poor maintanace.... Do you change your car oil every 10,000 miles and the oil filter every other time ??? YOUR EQUIPMENT IS PAYING YOUR BILLS TAKE CARE OF IT......

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I ought to try the Kohler oil again... I haven't used it in years. Last time I used it though I remember it being so clear I couldn't even see it on the dipsitck! Must be super refined or something. So many oils I see are almost brown coming out of the bottle.

I've been using Valvoline "max life" oil. It works great in my trucks, and has pretty much stopped any oil consumption I've seen in both. The mowers it's a different story. My Kohler engines ALWAYS burn oil, new and old, and everywhere in between. I've tried synthetic (what a waste of money burning up a quart+ a week) but never tried going back to the Kohler oil...