1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

27hp Kohler enough for a 61" deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm asking because my new Grasshopper bogs down a LOT. I'm more and more dissapointed with this overpriced machine every day. My biggest complaint though is the LACK of power! Iv'e checked the govenor spring settings and also confirmed that it IS opening up as much as it can when it's bogging down. Iv'e also made sure (had to adjust) that the no load rpm's was up to 3750 (as per the manual).

Basically, If I hold the sticks full (which is a blazing 8 mph :cry: ) and am cutting a dry 2 to 3 inches off (a weeks growth), cutting around 3.5" the engine bogs down like I'm bushhogging! I thought it was partly because I'm using the blower/catcher, but it also bogs without the blower on. Heck, the engine looses rpm's noticibly just DRIVING UP A GRADE!!!

I've asked the dealer and he's not any help. He tells me that's the way it is, and that I'm just used to "lightweight dixon mowers" Mind you that the Dixon was onle about 300 pounds lighter, but also 11" less cut width. Also 23hp and rarely did the engine even WORK, let alone bog down like this.

Any ideas?
  2. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

I don't know much about grasshopper. Can't help you there but I run a 27 on my 61 Husky and it doesnt bog down in anything less than what you could bail for hay. Having said that I was concerned I might have some power problems before I purchased it but to my pleasant surprise I haven't in the least. I demo'd the same mower with a 25 Kawi and it did fine so I figured the 27 would suit my needs.
  3. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That should not be happening especially cutting dry grass, that means if you got into damp plush grass it would not cut it. What you described cutting the 27 should not have any problem at all.

Don't stop until you are satisfied, I think I would start with Grasshopper if they don't know how their mowers perform, no one does. Dealers may tell you anything to get you out of their hair once the sale is made.

I've owned two 27's and they were a lot more powerful than what you are describing.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tracked your fuel consumption at all?

Has the dealer checked your ignition coils to insure they are putting out proper spark?
    Checked anything else to do with the ignition (timing and so forth)?

What about you Jason...

How did you break this engine in?
  5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm guessing something isn't right with that engine. I have the 27 Kohler on my 60" Z Master and have never thought it hasn't had enough power.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Haven't, nor ever have, tracked fuel useage. Other than I fill it up, usually every night or first thing in the morning. From what I can tell, but how much I'm using overall, is that it's not using any more than the 25hp kohler I had on the dixon.

How did I break it in? I started it and ran it. Once about 10 hours ticked by I changed the oil and Iv'e been checking it every day and running it since. Other than that, I saw no guide as to how to break-in the engine.

I'm wondering if this is a grasshopper problem, not a kohler problem. This is a horizontal shaft engine, sorry I didn't state that before. And uses a mule drive belt to power the deck. The hydro pumps run without a mule belt, so that dosn't explain why the engine bogs even when just driving.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Some people baby the crap out of their engines as their way to break them in. This causes the rings to not seat as well... and the result is low compression and low power.

I'm going to go call mowingman in on this one.
    He should have a much better perspective than the rest of us can give you.
    But my gut feeling is there is something wrong with the engine.
  8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, there is a problem, I would want to know the compression is good also.
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

How about trying a different place to buy gasoline ? How about stepping up to the next octane level ?

I just noticed from your signature you are running a bagger. Have you tried mowing without the bagger ?
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Jason, I suspect engine problem rather than mower problem. I have sent you a PM about this situation.
    You really need to have your dealer come out and watch you actually mow. Then he can see and hear what is happening. He can get on the machine and try it also.
    This engine is plenty for that machine and we have seen no problems here at our shop.
    Good luck. PM me back if you have questions.