27hp Kohler Starting problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grassrootz, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Grassrootz

Grassrootz LawnSite Member

I have a 27hp Kohler on my Exmark Lazer and I am having problems getting it started again. Great thing is we finished all our work for the week and i was just finished cutting my yard, when it happened.

All the mower will do is click when i turn the key. Is it more than likely the starter?

If so, Then can you tell me approx the cost for a new one and what brand I should get?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It's more than likely just the solenoid and not the whole starter, Have you checked the battery ?

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Rob,
    In a situation like this could you take one of these portable battery device with the short leads and apply power directly to the starter terminal. If it started can't you almost assume at least the starter is okay, except the solenoid.

4. Restrorob

I'm assuming this is a solenoid shift starter so yes you could do this on the starter motor lead on the solenoid to see if the starter spins, But it will not engage the drive unless the switch is held in the start position, The click is the plunger pulling the drive to the engage position at the same time pushing another plunger in the bottom of the solenoid to make the two large post on the bottom connect and spin the motor part of the starter.

This plunger in the bottom of the solenoid is what goes bad, The contact areas burn and get pits from use thus causing no contact or power across the large post to spin the starter.

5. Grassrootz

Grassrootz LawnSite Member

So, It may just be as simple as relplacing the soleniod :D
    Good news!!!

Can i take this in to a regular Auto store and have them test it?

also, how much would you say the replacement soleniod would cost? This is an 2002 model 27hp Kohler with less then 1000 hours on it.

6. Restrorob

I don't do this because I have the proper test equipment, But all you have to do is take a screw driver and touch the two large post on the solenoid connecting them together and see if it spins. But do it quick and solidly because sparks are going to fly.

A solenoid is in the $90.00 range, There are 3 or 4 different ones so take your whole starter with model and spec. numbers to your dealer so they can identify which one you need.

7. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you check your ground too. If you have a voltmeter simply put the black lead on the negative post of the battery and the red lead to the case of the starter. Turn the key to the start position and look for any voltage leaking through the case of the starter. You should have none. If you do show voltage coming through the case you have a bad ground.

8. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

VegitativeDream is correct, but he did not stress a IMPORTANT point.
    He means to _literally_ place meter lead on the battery post and NOT the cable end.
    If/when a bad contact exists between battery and clamp, then it would not show up if you place your meter lead on said clamp instead of battery post.

9. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: If you have a voltmeter simply put the black lead on the negative post of the battery

Seemed clear to me

10. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

I'll get back to you.