27HP LC overheating

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by lazer 46, May 28, 2003.

1. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer installed a new radiator in my Lazer 27HP LC last fall before putting the mower away for the winter. It had been leaking since new and after 2 years it was decided that a new radiator was needed. This spring upon using the mower for about 10 minutes the mower overheated and blew most of the antifreeze out the radiator cap. Took it back to the dealer and they refilled it and let it run for a long time and nothing happened. They ordered a new cap for it but said it would probably be OK. Although they did run the mower it wasn't under a full load and not mowing. I picked it up today, used it for 10 minutes or so and noticed the gauge read hot. On my way to the trailer the antifreeze let loose as it was once again all over the place. I dropped it off once again at the dealer. Any thoughts as to what is making this overheat?
  2. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

we've got one machine that has a habit of eating the oil pressure switch that controls the radiator fan. 4 switches in 2 years and when it fails it gets real hot real quick. No problems with the other 3 27hp lc engines. Make sure the switch is working. Other than that, no ideas.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Sounds like your dealer is on the right track. I have run in to bad cap last year that was causing the same issues. The cap actually went bad from the crew check it too often.

Steve has a good point make sure your fan is running. The other problem that you could have is a bad thermostat. This could cause some of the same issues.

Thanks, Fred.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Until last week.

Mine also had been leaking since new. It emulated a loose hose clamp. Leaked down both hoses and all across the rear.

Finally started leaking real bad last week. I took it off and took it to a local radiator shop. $68 later I'm back in business. (next question is how to get this repair bill taken care of?)

Anyway, the radiator guy said that 3 of the 4 corners were leaking. He re-soldered all 4 corners for me. My dealer said they only had one other case of a leaky one (happens to be my friend!).

Lazer 46,

The fan IS plugged in, right?

You could have an air bubble too?

Or, worst case senairio, a bad water pump.

Boy it sure is nice not to have to add antifreeze every couple mornings! I went through 1 full gallon (2 gallons of 50/50) of Dexcool refilling over the past few seasons!
  5. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer has ordered a new water pump for the machine. Won't be here till next week. But they are not sure this is the problem. I like the fan switch theory and ran it by my dealer but they are going to try the water pump first. Even though this is my backup machine I have not been able to use it this year yet. What is the sense of having a backup if can't be used? It is not the radiator cap. I pointed out to the dealer that the engine gets hot before any antifreeze goes out the cap. It is not losing fluid then overheating, but overheating and then losing fluid. Dealer tested thermostat and it checks out.