27hp liquid cooled Kawasakis

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fullthrottle, Jul 21, 2001.

1. Fullthrottle

Fullthrottle LawnSite Member
    from SC

Anyone out there had problems with the new 27hp LC Kaws? I'm trying to decide which engine to get on a new Exmark. My concern is that if the water pump goes, it could cause major engine damage. My luck, it will go after the warranty expires. Are there any other disadvantages with a LC engine?
    Thanks in advance for any info..
    JL

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sold on the water cooled engines. The increased initial cost & maintenance outweight the benefits. IMHO
    If I mowed properties that involved 6 hours of straight mowing I might consider water cooled power.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

A water cooled engine runs cooler, runs longer and is much more quiet than an air cooled engine. By running the oil cooler you will get more hours on it. Usually when a water pump goes bad it's just the seal. When the seal goes out you will see it dripping from the weep hole in the water pump. Then you'll have time to replace it. As long as you dechaff the radiator as you would the cooling fins on an air cooled, you'll be in great shape. Get the 27 Kaw.

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sold on the liquid cooled Kawi's. My friend had one in a John Deere 425 garden tractor and it gave him nothing but a bunch of trouble. It was real low on power after it had only 500 hrs. on it. Dealer checked it over and said the compression was way low. This engine was well maintained. JD paid for a new engine. After running unit for another season and having engine loose power again, he traded it in on a Lazer w/ a 22hp. Kohler engine. He ran that Kohler over 1500 hrs. before he had any problems. ED

5. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I don't believe the diff.in price is worth the extra money,I think you would be better off to put the diff,into another air cooled engine when that time came

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 23 lc on my lazer and so far it's a great engine, if your going to get a 60" the 23 hp lc is enough power and gets much better fuel efficency over the 27. The 23 is a good engine so i'm sure the 27 is good also. The cost of the lc is realy not that much more than the air cooled, acually my dealer told me he's give me the 25 kohler ac or the 23 kawi lc for the same price, uh duh... thats a no brainer. :rolleyes:

7. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I got the 23 hp lc Kawi. I figured here in Okla. when the air is over 100 degrees for almost 2 months straight the lc would be better in the long run. I haven't had any problems as of yet. It is a new mower too though.

8. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

TotalLawn,
    I'm looking at getting a new mower this winter and was wondering where you got your's at and if you are happy with the service. Also, do you do any snow removal?

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the 27. It is only a smidge more money than the Kohler, and best of all.....its NOT a Kohler! The coolant in these is the new DexCool and has 5 yr change intervals. This fluid is much easier on hoses and seals than the old green stuff. Even on the 100 degree days, the engine temp never goes over 1/4. It could be 25 degrees or 100 degrees, it stays the same, even with the rad. screen half clogged. Much quieter and a much more "refined" sound than the Kohler. I only got 275hrs so far, but no problems yet. KNOCK, KNOCK!!!

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of these engines, does anyone know the recommended max. rpm's without load of these 27 Kawi motors? I have a friend that just bought a Lazer with this motor on it earlier this year, and he is somewhat disappointed in it. For one, it's leaving stragglers for some reason, even in thinner grass. Sharp blades,(right ones, too) proper pitch of deck, - all o.k.. He also got a demo of the identical mower, and that cut just fine. I haven't looked into the mower yet, but he has an idea that the throttle might not be set right because it sounds as if the rpm's are lower than what the demo's were. The dealer assures him everything is alright, and basically tells him "that's just the way it is." I know better. I'd like to help him get to the bottom of this.