27hp Z & 25hp DC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kent, Jun 12, 2001.

1. kent

kent LawnSite Member

Looking to buy either Exmark Z Liquid 72" 27hp Kaw or Dixie Chopper XXW2500 72" 25hp Kol. Will there be any appreciable difference in power (or lack thereof) between the two? Going to be cutting off approx. 2-3 inches of (dry) KY31 Fescue weekly. 7 smooth rolling acres with few obstructions, no real heavy stuff. Looking for high quality with reasonably fast times. Someone told me that (due to 72" decks) both machines would be marginal at best in reference to power. I assume that ground speed could be reduced to compensate for any power inadequacy, but there is a point where speed reduction will offset the 72" deck size advantage.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have owned 2 Choppers with 20 hp Kohlers and a 60" deck. They did fine in most cases as far as power goes. I now have a 22 Kohler and a 26 hp Yanmar diesel on 60" decks, and they do a bit better. :)

Homer has a 72" Chopper with a 25 Kohler and he likes his. I have not owned a 72" Chopper yet, but some day I might. ;)

3. BIG RON

BIG RON LawnSite Member
    from S.W. MO

4. Eric ELM

Big Ron, I think your total time to cut 7 acres is off a bit. I can mow 7 acres with my 60" in less than 2 hours, so he should be able to mow the 7 SMOOOOOTH acres in not much over an hour with a 72", 1.5 hours should do the job even if he doesn't have much experiance on a ZTR.

You are right on the wider the wheel base the smoother it rides.

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The 60 & 72 Exmark/Toro have the same wheelbase & wheelstance.

Why not a 26hp EFI - actually has more power than the 27hp Kaw.

I would contend that the 26EFI or 27LC would be marginal at WORST, both are very adequately powered and at NO POINT would a 60" be more productive on a property like that.

(Of course you can get the 31hp Exmark and end this discussion once and for all.)

6. Eric ELM

Or you could get the 50 hp Turbo diesel Chopper and really put this to rest. :laugh:

As far as I'm concerned, you can never have to much power on a mower, but if he mows his 7 acres at least once a week, a smaller motor will work. He will probably be out there mowing it twice a week anyway when he gets his new ZTR. ;)

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Kent,

This sounds like a sod farm field!!! I would love to cut this type of grass and size, and smoothness.

Anyway, Just keep in mind that the DC cutting height is adjusted in 5/8" increments while the Lazers are 1/4" jumps. Can make a big difference if you get a day behind and want to raise it just a bit.

Just drove a new (4hrs) 60" 24hp Honda Chopper yesterday. Was mowing up a slight hill and was surprised at the machines balance (or lack thereof). It constantly wanted to do wheelies! I think they need to add some weight to the front. When did they go with a square front bumper? Also, the new VTC is VERY touchy, once you let go of the levers, they seem to want to fall down and go full speed, yikes! The Honda really didn't seem to be any more powerful than my old 25 Kohler Chopper and it only tached out at 3600RPM free load.

They are both good machines for your needs.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2000 60" Dixie,it has a 25hp kohler.I honestly feel this engine is maxed out with my 60".I know it will run a 72,but it will be laboring a lot.I would get the bigger engine with the 72".I do not like my 25hp kohler at all.I would gladly trade it for a 23hp kawi.:D

9. kent

kent LawnSite Member

Everyone thanks for the fast replys and comments. I was already leaning toward the Chopper. After reading replys from Eric KLM,Big Ron,Homer,Kents Lawns,John M and Dixie 1, I have finalized my decision. Tomorrow I am going to order the 72" 25hp Chopper even though the dealer says it could take 5-6 weeks for delivery. I feel that with the advice, research I have done, plus a very positive DC demo,(dealer transported to my location 90 miles round trip-unsolicited), a knowledgeable and eager DC dealer, the Chopper is my most logical choice. I'll post after I get it and let you know how it goes. Again, thanks everyone. Kent :)

10. BIG RON

BIG RON LawnSite Member
    from S.W. MO

I ALLWAYS TRY TO GUES MY TIME AT THE HIGH SIDE THAT WAY I DONT GET BURNT ON MY BIDS TOO OFTEN. I KNOW HE SAID A SMOOOOOOOTH 7 AC. BUT WHEN HE STARTS MOWING IT WIDE OPEN HE MIGHT FIND A FEW BUMPS.
    THE V T C CONTROLS ARE A LITTLE TOUCHEY UNTILL YOU GET USE TO THEM THEN THEY ARE A DREAM. DONT KNOW WHY THE WOULD DROP DOWN TO FULL SPEED WHEN YOU TURN THEM LOSE.
    WITH MY SUN HELPING ME ONE OF US ON THE 72 AND THE OTHER ON MY 60 WE COULD MOW HIS YARD AND TWO NABORS IN 45 MIN. ALL THREE YARDS WERE JUST A LITTLE UNDER 3 AC. WITH NOT MUCH TO MOW AROUND OTHER THAN THE HOUSE.:angel: