28,000 groundcover plants to go in

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by marionlandscape, Nov 19, 2007.

1. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

I have a large groundcover job to do and I am trying to find the fastest way to plant it. what would you guys do? it is about 28,000 plants to go in. is there a tool or should I setup a string line for the guys to follow? and how long to plant? I am estimating 15 seconds per plant
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Are we talking container plants or bare root or what?
  3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Not enough info, and your 15 second per plant theory will never work...trust me.....What type of ground cover?, soil type?, deck hands?, etc.....
  4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

LOL 15 seconds a plant!!!

I'd get a auger of some kind. Hell, even a mini x with a auger should work. If they are small plants you would just need to almost touch the ground with the bit.

EDIT! 2000TH POST!
  5. Southern Signature

Southern Signature LawnSite Member

28,000 of wat kind of plant. All the same type. Is it in a level suface or hills... need more info?
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

15 seconds is optomistic, but I'll bet I could accomplish that if the soil was rototilled, amended and loose - fine textured.

And it would have to be done assembly line style.

The worker planting, could not be the same one popping the plant out of the pot.

I can only see that time working for 4" pots - not 1 gallon.

One person, or several, would be popping plants from pots. Another person or two would be collecting empties.

Other workers would be dedicated to planting only - probably with a tiny pick to gouge a few holes at a time and plant.

Yeah... now that I think about it - 15 seconds would work that way. But the day could be a real burn-out without rotating workers at tasks.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if it is liners, or cell packs then i think 15 sec would work fine.

buy a steel screw in trailer anchor (home trailer ). it has an 4" auger on the end. cut the loop off and use it in a drill.
  8. Tim C.

Tim C. LawnSite Member

When I planted 4,000 4 in vinca plugs I used a bulb auger on a cordless drill but, the ground was hard, so I kept killing the batteries. Next time I think I will use a gas powered drill. I think both echo and stihl make one.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I'd till the entire area with something like a mantis tiller and get nice and soft, so you don't need any "augers". Just scoop with the hand , drop it in pullthe dirt back over and go to the next...String line would be nice, but you end up tripping over it..
  10. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

like stated above it all depends on the type of groundcover. We just did a job with 17,000 pachysandra and 15 seconds a plant is way too much time. We just use the typical hand trowels. We prep the area first, then put the thin layer of mulch on, and plant the pachysandra last. We've done a number of jobs like this and it seems to be the quickest way. we do need to know what you are planting to let you know a little better how it might go.